Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618648 [44]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [12]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [5]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters, the financ [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters, the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates that fact.

(A) the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates that fact
(B) for example, the 1992 Olympic Games were financially successful
(C) like the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates
(D) a fact demonstrated by the 1992 Olympic Games, which were financially successful
(E) as the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates

IMO E
as the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates; correct usage of sentence

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 21 Mar 2019, 00:02.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 22 Mar 2019, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters, the financ [#permalink]
+1 for (E), with shuvodip04 for the exact same reasons...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
Send PM
Re: International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters, the financ [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters, the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates that fact.

(D) a fact demonstrated by the 1992 Olympic Games, which were financially successful

Financially successful" wrong idiom to use...

A , C , E are left.

Like X, Y ...C is wrong becoause "like" is followed by clause...

In A two independent clauses ( " International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters " and " the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates that fact" ) are being joined by a comma. So A is wrong.

E is left . E is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters, the financ [#permalink]
Kudos
4. [modal] British English used in negative sentences when saying that something is not necessary or not always true ⇨ have to
need not/needn’t
You needn’t stay long.
Going to the dentist need not necessarily be a painful experience.
need not have done something/need not do something
You needn’t have spent all that money.
I needn’t have worried.
need I/we etc do something? British English old-fashioned:
Need we leave so soon?
somebody need never do something
Jim need never find out what I said
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

The only option that makes sense is "E", as it has the right structure. Its kind of funny cause I don't think I need to elaborate, as some structures are always the best fit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Can experts please help understand the usage of "for example" in GMAT?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 937 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Correct Answer: E

A: Run-on (each clause has a subject and verb).
B: Also a run-on. If the comma after disasters were a semi-colon, B would be acceptable.
C: "Like" is being used here, incorrectly, as "as" (meaning, effectively, "for example").
D: Wordy, and "a fact" is not an ideal construction (when "as" works perfectly fine). Further, compared to E, D names the Olympic Games as evidence, while E names the financial success of those games as evidence.
E: Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
shuvodip04 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Answer choice analysis:-

(A) the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates that fact -Two indepencdent clauses are joined by a comma, that-here is used to refer tp the entire clause "International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters" .
(B) for example, the 1992 Olympic Games were financially successful - The 1992 Olympic Games is singular, for example can't be used as a conjunction
(C) like the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates like can't be followed by a clause to present examples
(D) a fact demonstrated by the 1992 Olympic Games, which were financially successful The 1992 Olympic Games is a single event an is singular .use of were is incorrect
(E) as the financial success of the 1992 Olympic Games demonstrates- gives a reason for the why international sporting events need not be financial disasters.Correct

IMO E

International sporting events need not be fiscal disasters, is not a fact but a opinion. Therefore D is wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Hopefully this question is very old, or else I dont approve of the present tense "demonstrates" for an event that took place 30 years ago.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bambi2021 wrote:
Hopefully this question is very old, or else I dont approve of the present tense "demonstrates" for an event that took place 30 years ago.

"Demonstrates" is perfectly correct here, because the sentence is saying that the example, which occurred in the past, still demonstrates something right now. If you use "demonstrated" instead, the sentence is still more or less fine, but it then says "at the time the 1992 Games happened, they demonstrated ..." and it becomes a bit ambiguous whether the 1992 Games still demonstrate that games can succeed, or if that was only true back in 1992 and might no longer be true.

And if you consider a sentence like this:

The 80-ton titanosaur illustrates that reptiles can grow to enormous size.

then I now can't really see how you could change the verb to "illustrated" (without changing the meaning to something the sentence probably doesn't intend), even though dinosaurs have been extinct for 65 million years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Bambi2021 wrote:

"Demonstrates" is perfectly correct here, because the sentence is saying that the example, which occurred in the past, still demonstrates something right now. If you use "demonstrated" instead, the sentence is still more or less fine, but it then says "at the time the 1992 Games happened, they demonstrated ..." and it becomes a bit ambiguous whether the 1992 Games still demonstrate that games can succeed, or if that was only true back in 1992 and might no longer be true.

And if you consider a sentence like this:

The 80-ton titanosaur illustrates that reptiles can grow to enormous size.

then I now can't really see how you could change the verb to "illustrated" (without changing the meaning to something the sentence probably doesn't intend), even though dinosaurs have been extinct for 65 million years.

I sort of totally agree with you. Its just that, even with the Titanosaur, its no longer a good example because reptiles cant grow to such size anymore. It would be better if we said: "The Titanosaur illustrates that reptiles could once grow to enormous size."

And I have similar doubts for the olympic games. I just feel that, if 30 years have passed with tons of international sporting events in between, we need a more recent example to justify the argument that they need not be fiscal disasters. Its a subtle and maybe uncalled for doubt of mine but Im nevertheless a little uncomfortable with the present tense and I dont like the fact that such likely uncalled for doubts make me choose the wrong answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Quote:

Hi VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun

What is the role played by "as" in choice E?
I am confused over whether it is used as a comparison term or used to mention a reason.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos