Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

International Students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

International Students [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 09:32
Just out of curiosity - what motivates international students to apply for a master's of accounting in the United States?

IFRS is already practiced by most of the world, and will be implemented in the U.S. soon, as well. It just seems like pursuing a CPA would be unnecessary, unless you're looking to practice only in the United States.

This isn't meant to confront or offend anyone - honestly, I'm just surprised there are so many international applicants and I'm curious about the rationale behind it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: International Students [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 09:04
shannondu10 wrote:
Just out of curiosity - what motivates international students to apply for a master's of accounting in the United States?

IFRS is already practiced by most of the world, and will be implemented in the U.S. soon, as well. It just seems like pursuing a CPA would be unnecessary, unless you're looking to practice only in the United States.

This isn't meant to confront or offend anyone - honestly, I'm just surprised there are so many international applicants and I'm curious about the rationale behind it.

Sounds good enough for a reason. Besides, it's not like IFRS and US GAAP are apples and oranges. "Debit" still means "debit". I doubt there's any evidence out there that shows having a CPA, as opposed to holding an equivalent certification from a country where IFRS are already the rule, is a serious hindrance to promotion for jobs in international accounting (for lack of a better term), in the US or elsewhere.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: International Students [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 06:45
Well, I'll try to give you one answer~

I'm a Korean holding permanent residency, and graduated University in Korea

In Korean job market (big 4 accounting firms), USCPAs are great in demand. Why? Because many Korean companies have to file financial statements based on US GAAP, and for that, they need people who have knowledge in both Korean GAAP and US GAAP so that they can re-form the financial statement which was based in K-GAAP to US GAAP.

For financing job markets in Korea, USCPA is a plus because it is assumed that they have the ability to analyze the financial statements presented by US companies so that they can make decisions on their investment and tradings, and etc...

I guess it applies to most other parts around the world. That's probably why there are so many international students in US accounting programs.

I hope that was a good answer
Re: International Students   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2011, 06:45