Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

International Students : A fair investment?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

International Students : A fair investment? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2003, 05:56
Hi Guys
Its really good to hear from guys with their experiences in the exam and with inputs from everyone. I had a query though which had kept me a little worried offlately. Would like to ask the group here what they feel about it. With the kind of investment that goes into a B-school , what are the chances of the international students in US to recover those costs in long term. Also for someone like me whose annual income is <10000USD its pretty hard to shell out that amount of money . And thats making me a little apprehensive about the future prospects. I have had an engineering degree and currently working with a consultancy firm which is among the top in the world with a large presence accross the globe. Also a few stories floating around with US recruiters not prefering non US citizens is a cause of concern because its really ahrd to recover the money which someone like me would spend in my own country. Folks ur views would be really help ppl like us take a decision and hopefully a positive one at that too.
cheers
neeraj
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2003, 20:42
Thats a pretty valid point you make there, but a little inapprpriate to discuss this under the "Share your GMAT experience" board, don't you think? :roll:

Get with the program!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

yup [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2003, 01:34
Well I agree that this forum of GMAT experience doesnt fir in for this topic but well mate I guess this being the most viewed section should evoke the most number of responses .. That was the only reason I posted it here.. but seems ppl havent really taken the bait.. hahah.. u seem to be an indian ursefl.. what are your views on the same...

cheers
neeraj
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2003, 05:33
Well, my thoughts are that you need to look at your own situation and make your own decisions, everyone has different priorities and are at different stages in their careers so no two reasons for a decision are the same. Also, it's common knowledge now that the US economy is an awful state and things are very hard for international students, things are just not the way it used to be and the clearer this is to an international student, I believe the better prepared he/she will be.

My personal opinion about an expensive MBA is this, if I had a good paying job with good prospects in the short to medium term , I wouldn't budge and burden myself with a huge loan. I'd rather weather this period out and then look for an MBA when returns (to an extend) can be guaranteed. Having said that, some people I have talked with have compulsions such as marriage, aging parents etc. Personally, I'm just beginning my career, I'd do no harm to my prospects with an MBA and I'm open to returning to India to work.

So, I'd say plan carefully, these are tricky times, if you've been a bit of a punter, you might take a punt in this situation, after all, in the long run an MBA will still pay off!

Get with the program!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 13:07
CHECK BUSINESS WEEK LATEST ISSUE

HK
------------
learning verbal

Intern
Intern

Good topic.... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 15:54
I think its a very good thing to think about, especially if your parents cannot subsidize your education (I come from a middle class family, so I am pretty much on my own). Couple of interesting links...

http://www.infozee.com/indiatimes/chann ... /worth.htm
http://learning.indiatimes.com/bm/mbaab ... rth_it.htm

Course content wise I suspect it is same in India and abroad (Lets say our IIMs are comparable to top schools abroad in terms of what is taught). But network wise, top schools in US are far better. Ultimately it depends on how you perform and leverage these networks to your benefit.

Personally I feel that MBA abroad is worth it.
Good topic....   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2003, 15:54