Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Internet and Satellite TV Service

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Internet and Satellite TV Service [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 09:53
Well gang, after an exhaustive five days of viewing several different communities in multiple neighborhoods around campus, I have finally resettled into a modest 1/1 which is actually smaller than the place I was living in Japan (and more expensive). I'm amazed at how much the cost of living has increased since I left the States back in 01'.

Got a phone, appliances, and even a nice new mattress to sleep on until the container arrives from Kobe later this year. Now I need broad band internet access and satellite TV (wife can't survive without Japanese and Chinese language stations). Does anybody know of a good, affordable bundled package? Comcast and DIRECT TV are asking $100+ /month, which is frankly about double my student budget. :oops:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 10:00
I agree with the budget comment. Comcast has a monopoly on service at my place, which is unfortunate. Their service in Detroit was expensive as well, and constantly dropped VOIP calls.

Maybe one of the future MBAs in this forum can start a company that actually provides good service and low prices. That would be a novel offering for cable tv.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 16:21
I guess the trade-off is that any place within a 1 mile radius of campus (my new pad is) gets free wireless internet access. Still trying to sort out the TV situation though...
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 16:46
i used to watch chinese channels online with tvu player
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 04:40
I heard the one company that offered Chinese/Japanese language TV here in the states went out of business a few months ago. I can't recall the name of it. The reason I know that is I was listening to a call in lawyer show on the radio, and some guy had paid for the service, and then it went out all of a sudden with no warning..he was wondering if he could sue to get his desposit back...the lawyer asked if they were still in business..He said no..so he was basically out of luck..
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 09:52
I get free internet and cable with my rent. They're really gouging me for $450 per month. I do have to share a kitchen, but I get a private bedroom and bathroom, as well as washer/dryer in the unit and most appliances. I haven't hooked up the cable yet, but I noticed that the internet only gets about 700kbps download, but almost 3000kbps upload. Anyone know why it's like that?

Anyhow, everywhere I turn I'm pleasantly surprised by the prices around here. Even the sales tax is only about 1/2 of what it was in California. I just wish they'd do something about the humidity. It's not as bad as I experience around St. Louis and Kansas City on my drive over, but I'm definitely drenched after moving my stuff in. I guess the difference is that I got drenched in the Midwest just standing around pumping gas, but here it takes a little hard work before I'm totally soaked. I already miss the climate of the bay...

I'm looking forward to hearing from people all around the country and world as they get started in the near future.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 10:16
hey pelihu,

just got back from Alabama... OMG it was hot and humid... I definitely don't want to leave the Bay area if I could help it! ;)
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 14:38
pelihu wrote:
I haven't hooked up the cable yet, but I noticed that the internet only gets about 700kbps download, but almost 3000kbps upload. Anyone know why it's like that?

Sounds to me like everyone else on the line, as it is a shared property, is downloading. Or that it is on a capped service where the company manages the flow for high use periods. Maybe you should seed some torrents to take advantage.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 14:39
pelihu wrote:
I haven't hooked up the cable yet, but I noticed that the internet only gets about 700kbps download, but almost 3000kbps upload. Anyone know why it's like that?

Sounds to me like everyone else on the line, as it is a shared property, is downloading. Or that it is on a capped service where the company manages the flow for high use periods. Maybe you should seed some torrents to take advantage.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 08:56
I think (at least I hope) that it's a capped speed. There aren't that many people around yet, so if it's slow because of people sharing the bandwidth, I can't imagine how sucky it will be once everyone shows up next week. I've actually noticed that 700kpbs is pretty much fine for my needs. I'll just have to limit the amount of...uh...things...that I download.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 07:08
me, personally, i hate tv. up until a month ago, i haven't had a tv for 7+ years by choice. i study + work fulltime and never have time to use one so i said forget it.

i got one recently but it's mainly for my gf to watch. i dont watch a damn thing on it.

so i was going to say see whether or not you really NEED a tv. you can get all news/weather on the computer now anyway so you dont have to spend money on cable/satellite service.

this is coming from a minimalist so keep that in mind :wink:
  [#permalink] 22 Aug 2007, 07:08