Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Internship dilemma

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 06:44
Hi, I kind of have a dilemma that I need some advice on. I was originally going to take a few months off before school starts to move back home to relax and get ready. Then I started entertaining the idea of a summer internship. On the advice of my roommate, I asked my contacts within the company for internship opportunities in the field I'm interested in (different from what I'm doing now). It looks like they're going to give me a decision on the internship by the end of day today, and it's likely to be positive. However, my last day with the company for my current job is at the end of this month, and more importantly, the lease is up, so I'd have to look for a place (and parking space) ASAP. My roommate has graciously let me stay for the month of June, but it's still going to be a big hassle with finding a summer sublet and moving and all.

I'm really kind of iffy at this point. I know the internship will be good for my career and recruiting later on, especially for a career switcher like me, but I also really want to move back home and just not do anything for 2 months. The internship work sounds interesting, but I'm just feeling kinda out of it. I would feel really bad, though, if they offered it to me, and I didn't take it, since they're basically creating a position for me because I asked. I'm tired of the city, and I'm feeling burnt-out. I miss the cornfields. Sigh.

Thanks for listening, and if you have any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:03
Just my two cents, but the time for this kind of thinking was before you asked for the internship. Turning it down now would be way worse than if you never asked. I assume you will be asking for letters of recommendation from some people from this firm. If that is the case then I would strongly recommend you not be so ungracious as to ask for something and then turn it down when it was given to you. If you are interested in bridge burning, this would be one way to go.

Skip
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:12
skipjames wrote:
Just my two cents, but the time for this kind of thinking was before you asked for the internship. Turning it down now would be way worse than if you never asked. I assume you will be asking for letters of recommendation from some people from this firm. If that is the case then I would strongly recommend you not be so ungracious as to ask for something and then turn it down when it was given to you. If you are interested in bridge burning, this would be one way to go.

Skip

I agree with what you said, and that's why I'm feeling conflicted. My saving grace is that I already relayed to my contacts that I would need some time to find a place, etc., when they asked me when's the latest I would need to know the decision by. The deadline I gave them was over a week ago. So I do have a very valid excuse if I want to turn it down. If I do turn it down, though, I agree that despite the excuse, the bridge would become much narrower.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:25
My pre-MBA internship with a VC firm last year played a key role in securing various summer internship interviews/opportunities this year. If it is related to a career that you intend to pursue after bschool, it is definitely worth it.

But pre-MBA internship is not required, and there is no guarantee that it will help you in future recruiting. Therefore, if it will complicate your personal life, there is no point of making it happen.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 10:14
nink wrote:
My pre-MBA internship with a VC firm last year played a key role in securing various summer internship interviews/opportunities this year. If it is related to a career that you intend to pursue after bschool, it is definitely worth it.

But pre-MBA internship is not required, and there is no guarantee that it will help you in future recruiting. Therefore, if it will complicate your personal life, there is no point of making it happen.

Do you think I'll burn any bridges if I turn it down? I most likely won't be working for this company again. I can still get a letter of recommendation from my current manager, instead of the internship sponsor.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 05:27
OK, just heard back. Looks like I've got the internship if I want it. Personally, I'm leaning towards taking it. Decision time.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 08:15
Take it if you are a career switcher. It helps a LOT during interviews and recruiting for the regular internships - simply because your story becomes so much more believable and it shows that you are already working your way towards the aim.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 11:39
milias wrote:
OK, just heard back. Looks like I've got the internship if I want it. Personally, I'm leaning towards taking it. Decision time.

Yeah, I say do it if you haven't accepted already. It's all about the networking... you could meet someone on this internship that becomes instrumental in doing something for you personally or professionally in 1, 3, 6 or 10+ years down the road. You just never know! Good luck!

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 06:27
OK, I just called this morning to accept the offer. Thanks everyone for your advice. Now please wish me luck finding a summer sublet before the end of this month!!

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Manager
Manager

Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:04
milias wrote:
OK, I just called this morning to accept the offer. Thanks everyone for your advice. Now please wish me luck finding a summer sublet before the end of this month!!

Awesome. Good luck with the sublet, that's a whole different kettle of fish :)

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
I think you made the right decision. The internship will be a great learning situation and you will be building bridges rather than burning them. As for the sublet, I cannot help you but wish you the best of luck.

If my thoughts were helpful, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 10:59
what's your premba industry and whats your internship industry, if i can ask
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 11:06
skipjames wrote:
I think you made the right decision. The internship will be a great learning situation and you will be building bridges rather than burning them. As for the sublet, I cannot help you but wish you the best of luck.

If my thoughts were helpful, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip

Thanks! Kudos given.

masscool wrote:
what's your premba industry and whats your internship industry, if i can ask

Pre-MBA is engineering; post-MBA is marketing/consulting/business development.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 06:50
Wow, I was just kinda offered a full-time position after the internship. One of my project sponsors is leaving the company for another job, and one of her coworkers who will be taking over jokingly asked me if I wanted a full-time job, in front of his manager! My project sponsor said I was going to b-school in the fall, and her manager asked me where I was going. I guess I must've been doing a good job, eh?

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Manager
Manager

Re: Internship dilemma [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:38
milias wrote:
Wow, I was just kinda offered a full-time position after the internship. One of my project sponsors is leaving the company for another job, and one of her coworkers who will be taking over jokingly asked me if I wanted a full-time job, in front of his manager! My project sponsor said I was going to b-school in the fall, and her manager asked me where I was going. I guess I must've been doing a good job, eh?

Nice! You know, that's how a lot of positions are filled: internally, through little happenstance moments like that.

Re: Internship dilemma   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2010, 08:38