Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dilshod wrote:
But what about telephone interviews?
How can adcom determine, whather the applicant himself is being interviewed?

BTW, i got an invitation for the interview after my apps. initial screening hence, do you have any ideas on-
- What percent of interviewed applicants gets admitted?
- Does the fact that i've been invited for an interview AFTER they looked thru my apps somehow strenghten my chances?

Forgot to tell, I'm applying to BYU, marriott MBA program.

thank you,

Dilshod,

Not sure why you ask your question about adcoms determining whether it's really you during the phone interview. Obviously, having someone do it for you would be a monumentally stupid act.

The percentage of interviewed applicants who are ultimately admitted varies considerably from school to school, but generally speaking it is a good sign if you are invited after your application has been reviewed. For some schools the odds of admission rise to 50% or higher for interviewed applicants, but again this varies school by school and I have no data on that for BYU.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Re: Interview. [#permalink]
pbodine wrote:
GMATcram wrote:
Paul,

How important is an interview? I read a lot of posts that they're dinged after interviews.
Does the interview decide an application status? I though that essays contribute more than haft? The importance of an Interview is driven by nationality?

Thanks

GMATcram,

The interview is a major datapoint, like essays, work experience, numbers, and reco letters. No element in the application weighs more than 50% in the adcoms' decision. Regarding nationality, the interview is more important for applicants whose native language is not English because it enables schools to gauge your English skills. A great interview can sometimes compensate for weaknesses elsewhere. A bad interview can sometimes spoil the good impression made elsewhere. It's a way for schools to determine whether the person in the application is who the same as the person sitting in front of them.
[b]
Thanks.
You wrote that adcom may view interview as a way of determining whether it was the same guy/gal who filled the apps.. And I just wondered, how can the adcom, using phone interview, do so.

Thank you again, you doing great job.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Dilshod wrote:
pbodine wrote:
GMATcram wrote:
Paul,

How important is an interview? I read a lot of posts that they're dinged after interviews.
Does the interview decide an application status? I though that essays contribute more than haft? The importance of an Interview is driven by nationality?

Thanks

GMATcram,

The interview is a major datapoint, like essays, work experience, numbers, and reco letters. No element in the application weighs more than 50% in the adcoms' decision. Regarding nationality, the interview is more important for applicants whose native language is not English because it enables schools to gauge your English skills. A great interview can sometimes compensate for weaknesses elsewhere. A bad interview can sometimes spoil the good impression made elsewhere. It's a way for schools to determine whether the person in the application is who the same as the person sitting in front of them.
[b]
Thanks.
You wrote that adcom may view interview as a way of determining whether it was the same guy/gal who filled the apps.. And I just wondered, how can the adcom, using phone interview, do so.

Thank you again, you doing great job.

By "same guy who submitted the app" I wasn't referring to two different people. I was talking about situations where an applicant has written essays that don't really capture who he is, i.e., through exaggeration or excessive self-marketing.
GMAT Club Bot