Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interview Best Practices and Debriefs:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 21:34
kryzak wrote:
If you get a Stanford interview, then you have a 50% chance of getting in after the interview. That's what I've read on blogs and stuff.

For Stanford, 14% of the applicants get interview? :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 22:27
probably around 15-17% get interviewed, since their acceptance rate is around 7-8%.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 00:23
Found this interesting:

The MIT Sloan MBA Admissions Committee conducts Behavioral Event-Based Interviews.
The concept behind Behavioral Event Interviews (BEI) is past behavior is a reliable indicator of future response in a similar situation.
BEI is different from the traditional screening interviews:
• Instead of asking how you would behave in a particular situation, the interviewer will ask you how you did behave.
• Expect your interview to question and probe your answers.
• The interviewer will ask you to provide details and will not allow you to theorize or generalize about several events.
• The interview will be a more structured process that will concentrate on areas that are important to the interviewer, rather than allowing you to concentrate on areas that you may feel are important.
• You may not get a chance to deliver any prepared stories.
• Most interviewers will be taking copious notes throughout the interview.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 00:33
good stuff auro! That's how my company (and I as an interviewer) conduct our recruiting interviews. Except now I have to sit on the other side of the table!
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 12:30
ncprasad wrote:
lepium wrote:
KingKREEP wrote:
Depends on the school. Kellogg interviews *nearly* all its applicants. So here it is more of a information collection resource. HBS on the other hand interviews roughly 30 - 40% percent of it's applicants. So here it seems more of a screening mechanism.

I agree that K interviews almost everyone. H interviews around 20-ish% since most people invited to interview are later admitted (speculation is about 50 - 70%) and based on a 14% admit rate, etc.

L.

Lepium, do you know the application volume spread between R1, R2 and R3. Thanks!

I don't, sorry.

L.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 13:52
I think Derrick Bolton (if you don't know who he is - jeez! what kinda rock have you been living under? ;) jus kiddin' - He's the Director of Admissions, Stanford GSB) made most sense when he said not to obsess over the percentages and probabilities of admits if you receive an interview call. Since the result is pretty discrete - an Admit or a Ding - so analyzing figures and numbers would present a wrong picture.

I'd evaluate the interviews on the following lines: Since most top tier school admit ONLY after interviewing, the interview means that they're interested. It's like that first blind date you go out on after hearing about that girl (or guy) from your friends ("She's really smart!" or "He's really funny!"). But during the "date" , if you are not exactly what the words on the application projected you as, then that second date is pretty hard to come by.

I guess if one receives an interview call, then one thing's for sure: the application was interesting. So kudos - you've got good writing skills (and also probably means that you've got friends who have good editing skills!). All of that is good news. So let's chill.

Now, again, what was the interview to acceptance rate of HBS? ;)
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 05:47
For all the R1 applicants- are you guys chosing to be interviewed by an Alum in your city or on campus? I live in Cincy and the schools that I am looking at that offer the choice, are all within driving distance. So would you guys recommend one over the other? Any particular reason for chosing so?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 09:41
If possible, interview with the ad-coms. If your case happens to be borderline, then having an ad-com who likes you in the room while decisions are finalized, is always a big plus.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 09:47
ncprasad wrote:
If possible, interview with the ad-coms. If your case happens to be borderline, then having an ad-com who likes you in the room while decisions are finalized, is always a big plus.

cant that go both ways? what if you are slightly above borderline - a bad interview with an adcom would surely sink you, while a bad interview with an alum may be chalked up to a bad interviewer.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 09:54
If you have a bad interview, its your fault that you didnt get in. But if you do well, you would want that to count.

What would disappoint you more? A bad interview and a resulting ding or a great interview that did not get the admit. Most people will be disappointed by the latter. Thats why I will go with an ad-com any day.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 10:00
ncprasad wrote:
If you have a bad interview, its your fault that you didnt get in. But if you do well, you would want that to count.

What would disappoint you more? A bad interview and a resulting ding or a great interview that did not get the admit. Most people will be disappointed by the latter. Thats why I will go with an ad-com any day.

i have the feeling the interview can only hurt you and a great interview adds very little in terms of getting accepted. i would feel awful if i screwed up an interview with an adcom that led to a ding, but wouldnt feel that bad if i had a great interview and didnt get in because that means it was the rest of my app that failed.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 10:20
dabots wrote:
i have the feeling the interview can only hurt you and a great interview adds very little in terms of getting accepted.

I agree with the above. I think that's the consensus of the class of 09 as well.

As for good interview/bad interview, well, if I'm going down, I'm going down swinging.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 11:10
the only problem is many schools don't have adcoms interviewing nowadays because of the increased volume of applications. I know Stanford only uses alums, Berkeley mostly students, Kellogg on-campus interview could be a student or an adcom, UCLA is alum.

So for schools that say "student or adcom", I think the consensus was that students are generally harsher interviewers, and they don't really help you case any more or less than alums. Therefore you're taking a risk choosing an interview that does not guarantee an adcom. That's why I decided to just do an off-campus interview with an alum with Kellogg.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 11:13
really a moot point for me now without any interviews :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 11:53
I think few people bomb their interviews enough to have it lead to a ding, this was even stated by adcoms before. The only way it helps is if you manage to have an amazing connection and really make a very good impression.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 11:58
riverripper wrote:
I think few people bomb their interviews enough to have it lead to a ding, this was even stated by adcoms before. The only way it helps is if you manage to have an amazing connection and really make a very good impression.

So what do you think the purpose of an interview is? Do they want to reject unattractive people?
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 12:11
I know this has been discussed somewhere before, but I can't find it. Did any of you e-mail a quick thank you to your interviewer? What's the common practice here?
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 12:12
I think an interview just lets them make sure you can communicate well and to ensure that your essays tell the true story (or atleast that you are consistent with it)
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 12:14
kidderek wrote:
riverripper wrote:

So what do you think the purpose of an interview is? Do they want to reject unattractive people?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I also think the interview can only hurt if you are unprepared, but not add to an application in a big way.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 12:21
So how long do you think it takes to prepare for an interview? An hour a day for a week to iron out your details and memorize answers to routine questions?

Am I correct in thinking that once the app is submitted, it's smooth sailing (except for the pants pooping part of course)?
  [#permalink] 24 Oct 2007, 12:21