Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 15:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interview Best Practices and Debriefs:

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 244
Location: Singapore
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Tell me about yourself [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 19:24
Hi guys how do I answer this question "Tell me about yourself". Should I stick to career specific info or add a more personal touch about myself. There seems to be different views on this.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Posts: 586
Location: Canada eh
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 03:46
Personally, I wouldn't recommend preparing at all.

Just be yourself.

I got an internship at Morgan Stanley one summer, and I messed up the technical questions hardcore. So I started to joke with the two hot girls interviewing me.... it was fun. We talked about clubs in Manhattan and the like. I left the room thinking "Well, there goes that job". I ended up beating out 25 other candidates...

You guys overthink things.

If you can't socialize/come up with answers on the spot, spend a little bit more of your day interacting with humans, and not with computers :-)

On a side note, have you guys ever interviewed anyone? Well if you have, you'd know that the LAST thing you want to see is regurgitated answers... once you start hearing those, you're made up your mind within 5 seconds.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 324
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
questions generally asked [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 07:00
Hey everyone,

I have a kellogg interview coming up next week. Appreciate it if people can post questions generally asked in interviews and strategy followed for preparing for interviews.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1507 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: questions generally asked [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 07:03
toDoorNot wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have a kellogg interview coming up next week. Appreciate it if people can post questions generally asked in interviews and strategy followed for preparing for interviews.


see:

http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 09:14
I've added the link for rhyme's interview guide in the first post as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 09:17
StartupAddict wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't recommend preparing at all.

Just be yourself.

I got an internship at Morgan Stanley one summer, and I messed up the technical questions hardcore. So I started to joke with the two hot girls interviewing me.... it was fun. We talked about clubs in Manhattan and the like. I left the room thinking "Well, there goes that job". I ended up beating out 25 other candidates...

You guys overthink things.

If you can't socialize/come up with answers on the spot, spend a little bit more of your day interacting with humans, and not with computers :-)

On a side note, have you guys ever interviewed anyone? Well if you have, you'd know that the LAST thing you want to see is regurgitated answers... once you start hearing those, you're made up your mind within 5 seconds.


You need to calm down with your overly judgemental tone. Do you realize how poorly you come across? I know I am not the only one who finds your posts rather iritating and am surprised that you have as many posts as you have without having been told to calm down a little.

You did make one good point about coming across as having your answers totally prepared. Most interviewers know you are going to be prepared for why you need an MBA, why that school, and career goals. I know when I interview people I expect them to have a prepared answer for why they want the job (and they better not joke about the pay check).

I would never go into an interview without at least prepping a little. I don't do practice runs or anything but I definitely review all my materials on schools, essays, and the why now/here. Last thing you want to do is slip up and say something about another school. You interview at Tuck and talk about their flexible curriculum you just ruined any chance you had since they will assume you know NOTHING about their school.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 963
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 09:20
riverripper wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't recommend preparing at all.

Just be yourself.

I got an internship at Morgan Stanley one summer, and I messed up the technical questions hardcore. So I started to joke with the two hot girls interviewing me.... it was fun. We talked about clubs in Manhattan and the like. I left the room thinking "Well, there goes that job". I ended up beating out 25 other candidates...

You guys overthink things.

If you can't socialize/come up with answers on the spot, spend a little bit more of your day interacting with humans, and not with computers :-)

On a side note, have you guys ever interviewed anyone? Well if you have, you'd know that the LAST thing you want to see is regurgitated answers... once you start hearing those, you're made up your mind within 5 seconds.


You need to calm down with your overly judgemental tone. Do you realize how poorly you come across? I know I am not the only one who finds your posts rather iritating and am surprised that you have as many posts as you have without having been told to calm down a little.

You did make one good point about coming across as having your answers totally prepared. Most interviewers know you are going to be prepared for why you need an MBA, why that school, and career goals. I know when I interview people I expect them to have a prepared answer for why they want the job (and they better not joke about the pay check).

I would never go into an interview without at least prepping a little. I don't do practice runs or anything but I definitely review all my materials on schools, essays, and the why now/here. Last thing you want to do is slip up and say something about another school. You interview at Tuck and talk about their flexible curriculum you just ruined any chance you had since they will assume you know NOTHING about their school.


the guy has never had a full-time job before... id take anything he says with a grain of salt
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 10:25
riverripper wrote:

You need to calm down with your overly judgemental tone. Do you realize how poorly you come across? I know I am not the only one who finds your posts rather iritating and am surprised that you have as many posts as you have without having been told to calm down a little.


Actually, he's been told time and time again to calm down. He's probably been the reason for locking a thread more than anyone else. Also I would use a stronger word than "irritating."

Besides, why would anyone listen to someone who sh1ts his pants?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 13:36
speaking of "locking" threads (haha) :wink:

Anyway, everyone, I think river got his point across to StartupAddict. We do not need to keep on bashing him beyond that, as Praet's #1 rule here is to "be nice". Hopefully StartupAddict will take the criticism to heart and be less... um, "displeasing". Then we call play nice with each other and help each other succeed in this application season.

Good points by StartupAddict though on the social aspect and the "too prepared" aspect of interviews. I interview a lot and like it when the answers flow more a from the heart than from some computer in that person's brain. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 455
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 20:48
So coming back to tsaditya's question: Tell me about yourself?

Where should one start of from? I mean a resume or your current industry? Is it ok to talk about strengths.... or should one start from the goals right away.... should one also include hobbies in this question?

This is a broad question compared to the short term and long term goal question, which is easier to answer:)

Can you guys please advise?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 21:13
It depends on the setting. During an interview (which I think is what tsaditya means) this is a common icebreaker question, just to kick things off. You can say anything really as long as you say it in a confident manner. Although, I would recommend something professional first and then something personal.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 17:59
kidderek wrote:
So how long do you think it takes to prepare for an interview? An hour a day for a week to iron out your details and memorize answers to routine questions?

Am I correct in thinking that once the app is submitted, it's smooth sailing (except for the pants pooping part of course)?



I'm thinking 10-12 hours. But I'm on the side of the camp that believes you should memorize your answers. I'd rather sound canned and consistent then fumble and inconsistent.

I also think that the interview means very little in the whole application. Schools have favorites when they invite candidates and these hardly change even after the interview, except for maybe MIT. I hate those types of interviews.
  [#permalink] 07 Nov 2007, 17:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Interview Debrief: Ross DNS123 2 03 Feb 2014, 23:07
8 Practice Phone Interviews rhyme 30 09 Nov 2009, 08:07
1 Case Interview Practice Sessions GMATobliterator 18 11 Jul 2008, 11:15
anyone wants to practice interviews ronybtl 0 19 Jan 2007, 16:39
Practice Interviews? rhyme 6 03 Nov 2006, 19:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Interview Best Practices and Debriefs:

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.