Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: questions generally asked [#permalink]
toDoorNot wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have a kellogg interview coming up next week. Appreciate it if people can post questions generally asked in interviews and strategy followed for preparing for interviews.

see:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've added the link for rhyme's interview guide in the first post as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
StartupAddict wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't recommend preparing at all.

Just be yourself.

I got an internship at Morgan Stanley one summer, and I messed up the technical questions hardcore. So I started to joke with the two hot girls interviewing me.... it was fun. We talked about clubs in Manhattan and the like. I left the room thinking "Well, there goes that job". I ended up beating out 25 other candidates...

You guys overthink things.

If you can't socialize/come up with answers on the spot, spend a little bit more of your day interacting with humans, and not with computers :-)

On a side note, have you guys ever interviewed anyone? Well if you have, you'd know that the LAST thing you want to see is regurgitated answers... once you start hearing those, you're made up your mind within 5 seconds.

You need to calm down with your overly judgemental tone. Do you realize how poorly you come across? I know I am not the only one who finds your posts rather iritating and am surprised that you have as many posts as you have without having been told to calm down a little.

You did make one good point about coming across as having your answers totally prepared. Most interviewers know you are going to be prepared for why you need an MBA, why that school, and career goals. I know when I interview people I expect them to have a prepared answer for why they want the job (and they better not joke about the pay check).

I would never go into an interview without at least prepping a little. I don't do practice runs or anything but I definitely review all my materials on schools, essays, and the why now/here. Last thing you want to do is slip up and say something about another school. You interview at Tuck and talk about their flexible curriculum you just ruined any chance you had since they will assume you know NOTHING about their school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't recommend preparing at all.

Just be yourself.

I got an internship at Morgan Stanley one summer, and I messed up the technical questions hardcore. So I started to joke with the two hot girls interviewing me.... it was fun. We talked about clubs in Manhattan and the like. I left the room thinking "Well, there goes that job". I ended up beating out 25 other candidates...

You guys overthink things.

If you can't socialize/come up with answers on the spot, spend a little bit more of your day interacting with humans, and not with computers :-)

On a side note, have you guys ever interviewed anyone? Well if you have, you'd know that the LAST thing you want to see is regurgitated answers... once you start hearing those, you're made up your mind within 5 seconds.

You need to calm down with your overly judgemental tone. Do you realize how poorly you come across? I know I am not the only one who finds your posts rather iritating and am surprised that you have as many posts as you have without having been told to calm down a little.

You did make one good point about coming across as having your answers totally prepared. Most interviewers know you are going to be prepared for why you need an MBA, why that school, and career goals. I know when I interview people I expect them to have a prepared answer for why they want the job (and they better not joke about the pay check).

I would never go into an interview without at least prepping a little. I don't do practice runs or anything but I definitely review all my materials on schools, essays, and the why now/here. Last thing you want to do is slip up and say something about another school. You interview at Tuck and talk about their flexible curriculum you just ruined any chance you had since they will assume you know NOTHING about their school.

the guy has never had a full-time job before... id take anything he says with a grain of salt
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:

Actually, he's been told time and time again to calm down. He's probably been the reason for locking a thread more than anyone else. Also I would use a stronger word than "irritating."

Besides, why would anyone listen to someone who sh1ts his pants?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
speaking of "locking" threads (haha) :wink:

Anyway, everyone, I think river got his point across to StartupAddict. We do not need to keep on bashing him beyond that, as Praet's #1 rule here is to "be nice". Hopefully StartupAddict will take the criticism to heart and be less... um, "displeasing". Then we call play nice with each other and help each other succeed in this application season.

Good points by StartupAddict though on the social aspect and the "too prepared" aspect of interviews. I interview a lot and like it when the answers flow more a from the heart than from some computer in that person's brain. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
So coming back to tsaditya's question: Tell me about yourself?

Where should one start of from? I mean a resume or your current industry? Is it ok to talk about strengths.... or should one start from the goals right away.... should one also include hobbies in this question?

This is a broad question compared to the short term and long term goal question, which is easier to answer:)

Can you guys please advise?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
It depends on the setting. During an interview (which I think is what tsaditya means) this is a common icebreaker question, just to kick things off. You can say anything really as long as you say it in a confident manner. Although, I would recommend something professional first and then something personal.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
So how long do you think it takes to prepare for an interview? An hour a day for a week to iron out your details and memorize answers to routine questions?

Am I correct in thinking that once the app is submitted, it's smooth sailing (except for the pants pooping part of course)?

I'm thinking 10-12 hours. But I'm on the side of the camp that believes you should memorize your answers. I'd rather sound canned and consistent then fumble and inconsistent.

I also think that the interview means very little in the whole application. Schools have favorites when they invite candidates and these hardly change even after the interview, except for maybe MIT. I hate those types of interviews.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3