Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 07:01
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Some background:
GPA: 3.6
GMAT: 700
Major: Biology
Minor: Accounting (21 hours of MAC pre-reqs)

I am applying to a Master in Accountancy Program at NC State due to their very close relationship with the Big 4 in the Raleigh market. They have the most on-campus recruiters of any NC school and I have taken too many accounting courses to qualify for the UNC program. Consequently, this is the only program that I have applied to or have the desire to attend.

The program has 2 deadlines, Feb. 1st to qualify for fellowships or scholarships and Mar. 1st for general admission. The graduate program is at the same university I currently attend.

I applied January 31st (waited on LORs) and I was granted an interview for Feb. 2nd (today!). I cram-prepared for the short notice interview but late last night I received this email:

Hello,

When processing your application I realized that Professor XXX wrote a letter of recommendation for you. Since he's on our MAC program admissions committee we can go ahead and waive your interview.
I'll be sure to let you know if we need anything else from you.

Thanks

The professor in question was my tax professor. Though, I did very well in his course and I'm confident his recommendation will be great, I really don't know how to feel about the situation. I feel like the interview would have allowed me to emphasis my ambitions, drive, non-traditional major, and experience.

So what do you guys think this means? I'm afraid I will miss out on a fellowship that could be worth $30,000!!!

Thanks for all the help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '22
GMAT Date: 04-01-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 24

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
It means they have all the knowledge that they can get from interviewing you from the professor, rendering interview unnecessary.
While it is possible to read it either way, I think it is a positive outcome from the way they worded it.

Kudos (+1) if you find this post helpful. :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jenkins
GMAT 1: Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
I think its a positive sign for you, no worries. I had the interview with them yesterday - very basic and rather informational. I don't think it really helps or hurts my chance. I really want NCSU fellowship, but since I will intern for PwC this summer, not sure if EY is willing to pay for my education lol. Good luck with everything!!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 08:30
Thanks for the replies!
I guess I'm a bit overly concerned since NCSU is only the program I'm applying to...

Hangham, is Jenkins your top pick? If so, are you planning on enrolling in the summer to get some of the MBA or concentration electives out of the way?
Either way, good lucky buddy!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 09:52
spiffy wrote:
Thanks for the replies!
I guess I'm a bit overly concerned since NCSU is only the program I'm applying to...

Hangham, is Jenkins your top pick? If so, are you planning on enrolling in the summer to get some of the MBA or concentration electives out of the way?
Either way, good lucky buddy!

You will be fine, I am sure!!! Jenkins is my top pick if they give me money lol. I got accepted into UDenver, George Washington and Bentley and rejected by Wake Forest (no interview - as I am international student - a bit surprised, I have good GPA and 720 GMAT:() Although Boston is my favorite location, I will go for the most affordable program. Please keep me posted on the result!!! Big smile!!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 12:29
I got accepted into NCSU!! but haven't heard about scholarships/fellowships...
Intern
Intern

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 12:52
Congrats!! I haven't heard anything yet. Was the decision by mail or email?
Intern
Intern

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 12:53
spiffy wrote:

Thanks!! It's via email. No worries - you have a high GMAT score and good GPA. You will be fine!! Please keep me posted on the result!
Intern
Intern

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 08:01
hangham wrote:
spiffy wrote:

Thanks!! It's via email. No worries - you have a high GMAT score and good GPA. You will be fine!! Please keep me posted on the result!

Received an admission letter today! No word on scholarships or fellowships yet! The attached welcome letter stated
"We also should be able to get information to you about scholarship/fellowship eligibility in the next couple of weeks."

There is no explicit criteria posted for being awarded a fellowship but I imagine with our higher than average GMAT scores we stand a chance! Good luck and hopefully I'll see you around in the fall!
Intern
Intern

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 08:14
YAYYY!! Congrats! I got the same letter too lol. Keep fingers crossed for us. Please keep each other updated if either of us hears anything new from NCSU;) Hope to see u next fall too
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
hangham wrote:
YAYYY!! Congrats! I got the same letter too lol. Keep fingers crossed for us. Please keep each other updated if either of us hears anything new from NCSU;) Hope to see u next fall too

I received an email from NCSU in regards to scholarships today. The email said I qualify for a $2500 scholarship guaranteed but that number may increase when they finalize awards. There was no mention of the fellowship. I replied asking if the email indicated I was no longer in contention for the fellow position. I'll be sure to update when they respond. Any news on your front?

Update Just received word that all the fellowships decisions have been made and recipients notified :/. Final scholarship awards will be made at the end of Feb.
Intern
Intern

Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 15:55
spiffy wrote:
hangham wrote:

I received an email from NCSU in regards to scholarships today. The email said I qualify for a $2500 scholarship guaranteed but that number may increase when they finalize awards. There was no mention of the fellowship. I replied asking if the email indicated I was no longer in contention for the fellow position. I'll be sure to update when they respond. Any news on your front?

Update Just received word that all the fellowships decisions have been made and recipients notified :/. Final scholarship awards will be made at the end of Feb.

boooo I thought I would still have some hope for the fellowships but sadly not :( Thanks for the information!! I got $15,000 guaranteed. Are you enrolling? It's likely (80%) that I will :D Hope to see you there
Re: Interview Canceled - What Does It Mean?   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2014, 15:55