Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interview question - What clubs would you like to join?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Interview question - What clubs would you like to join? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 07:10
When asked about clubs you would like to join in interview settings - is it OK to provide 4 or 5? (Of course briefly explaining the rationale behind choosing the clubs) or really expand on just a few?

Also, can they all be professional clubs or does it show that a person is well-rounded, if its a mixture of professional and personal interests.

Any thoughts are welcome!
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: Interview question - What clubs would you like to join? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 07:33
If it were me, I'd probably try to narrow it down. From what I've seen - first year MBAs will not have the time for four or five clubs, so do your research - find the few that you're most passionate about and learn more about them. Looking into all of them, you'll likely discover that while four or five might appeal to you at first glance, two or three will really speak to you and will be clubs where you'll really feel you belong. Those clubs are the ones I'd want to elaborate on.

Clubs are your chance to make an impact on the campus and area outside of the classroom. Definitely, if at all possible, try to expand beyond solely professoinal-related. Clubs are also probably your best opportunity to meet like-minded people who you can become closer with.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. If you're going to try all four or five before making a decision, that's totally understandable and shows that you have a wide variety of interests and you should answer this way, just know that that type of answer COULD give the impression that you'll be spreading yourself too thin.

Good luck!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Interview question - What clubs would you like to join? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 14:13
RyanCJW wrote:
If it were me, I'd probably try to narrow it down. From what I've seen - first year MBAs will not have the time for four or five clubs, so do your research - find the few that you're most passionate about and learn more about them. Looking into all of them, you'll likely discover that while four or five might appeal to you at first glance, two or three will really speak to you and will be clubs where you'll really feel you belong. Those clubs are the ones I'd want to elaborate on.

Clubs are your chance to make an impact on the campus and area outside of the classroom. Definitely, if at all possible, try to expand beyond solely professoinal-related. Clubs are also probably your best opportunity to meet like-minded people who you can become closer with.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. If you're going to try all four or five before making a decision, that's totally understandable and shows that you have a wide variety of interests and you should answer this way, just know that that type of answer COULD give the impression that you'll be spreading yourself too thin.

Good luck!

You are correct. First year students do not have time for 4-5 clubs. Yet many of us seem to wind up in 7 or more. Talking about 4 won't really raise any flags, but talking through the rationale for that many is just time consuming so you might as well cut it down.

For your interview speak to 2 or 3. Interviewers just want to see how you'd use all aspects of the school, how you'd contribute, and that you've done your research. No one is holding you to these answers or thinking that these are the only clubs you will join.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interview question - What clubs would you like to join? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 18:08
Okay, first off, I think this is kind of a dumb question (on the interviewer's part, not the poster's part). I say this because most times it's not surprising based on what the person has already told you. You're going into consulting and you want to be in the consulting club? Well golly, gee.

Second, if this question is asked & you know enough to turn it into things that you would like to do with a specific club, that is probably best (I want to use my programming background to fix the finance club website, I want to build out an interview tool kit for retail interviews, blah, blah, blah)

The next best tactic is to relate it to your background somehow, but I would stick to the "unique" clubs here. Like I said, if you're looking to change careers to marketing and you say that's why you want to join the marketing club, that's boring.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Interview question - What clubs would you like to join?   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2012, 18:08