Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interview Series thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Interview Series thread [#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 22:08
Hi Linda

This is GMAT Club's first question to you as part of the interview series.

MBA for a change of career?
Say, the Adcom is convinced that I have very valid reasons for changing careers after MBA. Even though i might get an admit, in the real world, is an MBA good for someone who intends to change his/her career? One would expect that it would be challenging to enter a industry as a manager ,with little or no prior experience,would it not?

Sincerely
Aejaz

Last edited by Praetorian on 16 Sep 2004, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interview Series thread [#permalink] New post 30 May 2004, 20:44
Expert's post
Praetorian wrote:
Hi Linda

This is GMAT Club's first question to you as part of the interview series.

MBA for a change of career?
Say, the Adcom is convinced that I have very valid reasons for changing careers after MBA. Even though i might get an admit, in the real world, is an MBA good for someone who intends to change his/her career? One would expect that it would be challenging to enter a industry as a manager ,with little or no prior experience,would it not?

Sincerely
Aejaz

THis is more an MBA exit question than an admissions question, but I will try to answer it anyway.

The key for using an MBA to changing careers is twofold:

1) The MBA has to be relevant to your new career. Obviously, an MBA will not help you become a doctor or lawyer. It could and frequently does help one transition from a technical position like engineer to more of a general management role.

2) Secondly, the most successful career changers can show that their previous work is relevant to their new career. Sometimes, particularly in a tight job market, they do so by moving into a related field -- from software development to product management to general mgmt. Other times, especially if the job market is a little more favorable to the job seeker, then the MBA can talk in terms of more general qualities and newly learned skills. But the key again, is to show that what you have done in the past is preparation for what you want to do in the future.

Not surprisingly, the qualities sought by employers in career changers are similar to those sought by adcoms too. The one difference is that adcoms, having been through the recession of the last three years, want to see in career-changing applicant the ability to analyze his or her strengths and experience and match those to realistic career options. Our article on "MBA Admissions: Application Advice for Career-Changers" has additional suggestions for this type of applicant.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog