Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Intl experience - Any hope of getting into top-tier schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intl experience - Any hope of getting into top-tier schools? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 04:35
I'm interested in taking an MBA leading to a career in international business consulting.

I'm coming in with a BA (major: History, minor: Economics), a certificate in Middle East & African Studies from Canada and an (unrecognized) 2-yr computer science degree from France. 3.5 GPA on BA.

I worked for 5 years as an analyst at IBM, doing a lot of different things on a lot of different accounts.... then got laid off & went back to school (for the aforementioned BA). Since then, I've been working as a corporate trainer in China.

I've spent almost all my free time over the past 3 months prepping for the GMAT. I'm aiming for a 700+, but if I were to write right now, I'd probably be around the 650-670 range. Verbal is quite strong, math is weak.

I know there will be applicants with excellent GPA's, high GMAT's & much cooler work experience...

All I figure that I have going for me is my international experience. I did my first degree in France, did a 3-month IT internship in Greece, and later I took a 9-month sabbatical from work & went to Egypt (where I took correspondence courses, learned Arabic & travelled around the region), now I'm in China. I can speak fluent French, Spanish & Arabic and some Chinese.

So is it even worth applying to top-tier schools (specifically INSEAD, LBS & IE)?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 2.93
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 29

Re: Intl experience - Any hope of getting into top-tier schools? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 03:47
Interesting CV!

I can give you some insight on the LBS and INSEAD.

Both are very much about the GMAT. If you score >720 they will admitt you wihtout hesitation. The INSEAD will give you a good start for consulting.

Look in the Business Week MBA Ranking. In the school describtion you can find the top recruiters in the career section. That gives you a good impression what you get.

^^Insead:

McKinsey & Company 127
The Boston Consulting Group 60
Bain & Company 48
Booz & Company 40
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants 15
A.T. Kearney 14

To give you some advice: For your application the recommendations are very important, because you have a very diverse background. Aim at the INSEAD and try to score 720 and up on the GMAT and you have a good chance.

All the best

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 58

Premium Member
Re: Intl experience - Any hope of getting into top-tier schools? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 11:43
Study up on your quants! I think you'd be a terrific applicant if you can show the adcomm you have the gmat & quant skills needed. As a languages person myself, I find the GMAT quant section utterly terrible, but learnable. Put in the time.

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

Re: Intl experience - Any hope of getting into top-tier schools?   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2012, 11:43