Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

into the 700 club .. but ..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

into the 700 club .. but .. [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 18:43
Hi guys ! got done with my Gmat today - broke into the 700s

710 (q50,v37)

Well, basically i have a very bland expression right now .. unsure of whether to be happy about breaking into the coveted 700s or cry over 'darn I cudve done way much better' syndrome !

The reason is this - I made consistent 750/760s in my gmat prep tests over the last week. The Adcoms wont buy that will they :)

This was my 2nd attempt at Gmat - my first one was arnd 3 months back resulted in a 660(q47,v34) with hardly any preparation.

Anyway, just got back from the test and pretty tired for a detailed debrief but shall write one soon.

One pointer : Though you can take a 10 minute break after every session, plzzzz make sure u get back within 5 minutes.

I came back in 8 , but the finger printer wudn read my finger ! wasted some time and eventually found that the 1 minute was stolen off my Quants session !

The message read - 45 seconds have been deducted from your session ! great - a message like that is the best thing to happen just before you resume ur test :)

The question remains - Do i need to take the G again ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 19:03
No. Take it from a recovering GMAT addict, your score is excellent and you need to be satisfied with it. Otherwise, it might hurt you in the end (i.e. your score could go down). The adcoms say that the GMAT is just one piece of the application, and congratulations, you passed that part of the application. Now it is time to focus on the rest of your app, and make sure the rest of the pieces fall into place like the GMAT did. If you think your experiences will not substantiate a great application, then evaluate that separately. Ultimately, leave your GMAT alone!

Congrats on the 710, not to mention a solid and even breakdown.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 20:17
Congratulations grad_mba.
710 is a very good score. you should get into the school of your choice.
Don't waste time on GMAt anymore, focus on the rest of the application.

I had gone for an orientation at Kellogg last week and one of the things that came out was that GMAT was not as important as people thought it was, your experience, essays, communications skills (tested in the interview) are definitely important. Focus on that! Hard part is over!

Any suggestions on preparation? I have mine in 50 days.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 23:00
Excellent score, congrats ! :D :)

Well, u need to provide more infos about u and where do u want to apply :)... To me and by default, I will say it's sufficient ! :).... My answer is A ;)... not B or whatever ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 23:53
Congratulations grad_mba :-D !!!

That is an excellent score! I will be throw a party if I get to that mark :-D !
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: into the 700 club .. but .. [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 00:03
Tremendous work grad_mba. I would kill for a Q50. I was thinking about redoing mine too , but I have decided against it. I think that the applications and interviews are far more important.

Good luck.

grad_mba wrote:
Hi guys ! got done with my Gmat today - broke into the 700s

710 (q50,v37)

Well, basically i have a very bland expression right now .. unsure of whether to be happy about breaking into the coveted 700s or cry over 'darn I cudve done way much better' syndrome !

The reason is this - I made consistent 750/760s in my gmat prep tests over the last week. The Adcoms wont buy that will they :)

This was my 2nd attempt at Gmat - my first one was arnd 3 months back resulted in a 660(q47,v34) with hardly any preparation.

Anyway, just got back from the test and pretty tired for a detailed debrief but shall write one soon.

One pointer : Though you can take a 10 minute break after every session, plzzzz make sure u get back within 5 minutes.

I came back in 8 , but the finger printer wudn read my finger ! wasted some time and eventually found that the 1 minute was stolen off my Quants session !

The message read - 45 seconds have been deducted from your session ! great - a message like that is the best thing to happen just before you resume ur test :)

The question remains - Do i need to take the G again ?
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 00:42
Excellent Score !

:flower :flower :flower

congratulations

:-D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 11:50
Excellent job.
Congratulations.
all the best.

:flower
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 17:08
Thank you for the wishes and encouraging words :)

I really owe a lot to the GMAT club, without which my 710 just wudn have been possible. It gave me a whole classroom experience with so many enthusiastic people readily sharing their views and problems.

Now a bit about my Gmat experience -

Had my 1st shot in march - landed up with a 660 (q47 v34). After a few PM exchanges with Paul from Accepted.com, decided to give it another shot - to get into the 700s.

I took home the brownie points of identifying my weak areas through my 1st experience. Well SC was glaring right at my face :)

Thus started my 2.5 month long preparation !

decided to work on my touchy spots from the basics - brought these two books which proved to be extremely useful

- Elements of Style by Strunk and White ( trust me its an excellent book)
- Probability made Nice and Easy (one of my strong points became prob & comb)

Once I was done with the Elements of Style - went on to the bible of GMAT SC - Manhattan SC guide - man was this useful !!

Washed my hands off quants for the 1st one month and attacked the SC 1000 series. My results had dramatically improved - for once I exactly knew WHY i was choosing an answer for an SC !
I was maintaining a strike rate of ~ 22/25 !!

Once I was through with ~ 300 of the SC 1000 series , became actively involved in the club forum. I used the forum for my Quants prepz. Every alternate day I made it a point to solve 25-30 problems raised in the Forum. This pretty much covered all the quants basics, not to mention those toughies with inherent traps some ppl threw at times :)

It was now time for the challenges -oh ya .. brought the entire 25 package !Now this was really helpful. I learnt not to go by the scores in challenges - mine varied from consistent 95% to a consistent 65% :) Challenges trained me to approach a given problem through all possible loop holes - especially useful for DS questions. It mainly gave me the confidence to attack any kinda problem that might crop up in the Q session.

After this, it was pretty much the same show - took some practice tests -

prep1 - 710 (4got the break up)
prep1 - 760 (q50 v44) - surprisingly there was just one repeat q in quants
Manhattan - 730 (q45 v44) - yes Q45 !! i found manhattan Q to be way more difficult than the challenges
prep2 - 750 (q50 v40)

took a couplla paper based tests - found the Q to be way below par, hence took only the verbal sessions - was making ~ 43-44

GMAT:
had a 3:00pm appointment ..things went on fine but for the 'extended' break which cost me a minute in the Q session :(

That incident really got into me and I took a good 5 minutes on my 3rd question !
No - not because I didn know how to solve, but somehow I was working with '10,000' when the q clearly said '8000' !! I knew this wasnt gonna help ..so took a 10 second brk ..a few deep breaths and resumed again !

The Q session appeared to be ridiculously easy but studded with a just a few gem of a thought provoking questions !!!

Didn have time for my last 7 questions as usual - but that has always been the case with me - I knew if i had had a decent strike rate in the 30 questions i attempted - i wud sure cross 48 :)

The verbal - oh well - I have no idea what went wrong, i was confident with all my choices and finished it with 2 minutes to spare !!! (it had never happened before) nyway ..bygones :)

Walked out with a 710 - oh well a very decent score if only my practice exams hadn hyped me up !

Materials I used :

- elements of style
- probability made nice and easy
- OG11 (didn use it much ..had exhausted it for my 1st attempt)
- PR (not a very useful book when ur looking for the challenge - too basic)
- Manhattan SC (i really know my sentences now)
- truck load of self-confidence and belief in myself :)

Profile/Plans:

Planning to apply only within the top 10. (not sure of my chances with a < 750 score)
Long term plans - to set up a sports academy back home.
Banking heavily on my very strong extracurriculars (professional International sportsperson) to boost my uniqueness.

Oh ya .. omnipresent Indian male with an engineering backgrnd + a few yrs of experience
  [#permalink] 28 Jun 2007, 17:08