Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Dean's Graduate Student Advisory Committee, Follies Production Team, FH Shield's Fellowship Recepient
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:The Wharton School
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Search Engine Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Haas (Admitted /w $$$), Anderson (Admitted), LBS (Waitlist), MIT (ding), Stanford (ding), HBS (ding)
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Dean's Graduate Student Advisory Committee, Follies Production Team, FH Shield's Fellowship Recepient
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Introducing "Underdog" MBA Consultants [#permalink]
That is a fair concern. However, I would like to help some early applicants during the summer! I realize that class work, clubs, and social activities will keep me busy going forward, and this is why I plan to take on only a few applicants later in the year.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, and I hope that I answered your question - good luck with your MBA and congratulations on your offers!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
And your links are removed until the other mods and I discuss this.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V42
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
How does a 3.7 and a 720 make you an underdog?
Did u reapply to CBS? What happened?
Are you suggesting that there is an "underdog strategy"
and if so, because you got into Wharton with above average stats that makes you qualified to help other such "underdogs?"
so your an expert now because you figured out how to market yourself?

Hi there,

Thanks for your questions.

Yes I have a 3.7 GPA from a city university - I believe that as an applicant, I am at a disadvantage to Ivy league grads (even those with lower GPAs).

I took the GMAT five times - scored from 640 to 680, until finally beating it last year. Frequency of GMAT tests doesn't directly make one an "underdog," but I don't underestimate any school's admissions committee.

I re-applied to CBS and was dinged without an interview despite improving my GMAT score by 40 points, getting promoted, and getting a leadership position in my community (sometimes it's just bad luck).

Yes, I am suggesting that there is an "underdog" strategy.

Finally to address one of your last points: "because you got into Wharton with above average stats that makes you qualified to help other such "underdogs?" - I think that you're reading a little too much into what I am saying. I'm not promising that I will help just any schmuck get into an Ivy league school - I'm trying to emphasize that even people with major weaknesses in their profile can effectively structure their essays and get interviews from top schools.

I never claimed that I was an expert at marketing myself, but I am offering help based on my background and experience.

Thanks again - let me know if you have other questions.

Nik
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V42
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
And your links are removed until the other mods and I discuss this.

Sure - please feel free to contact me directly. If there is a protocol that I'm not following, I would be happy to speak to you and rectify the problem. Thanks again.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gmatchaser wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
How does a 3.7 and a 720 make you an underdog?
Did u reapply to CBS? What happened?
Are you suggesting that there is an "underdog strategy"
and if so, because you got into Wharton with above average stats that makes you qualified to help other such "underdogs?"
so your an expert now because you figured out how to market yourself?

Hi there,

Thanks for your questions.

Yes I have a 3.7 GPA from a city university - I believe that as an applicant, I am at a disadvantage to Ivy league grads (even those with lower GPAs). That's not always true, you have a 3.7 end of story, it puts you above the average for all but Stanford

I took the GMAT five times - scored from 640 to 680, until finally beating it last year. Frequency of GMAT tests doesn't directly make one an "underdog," but I don't underestimate any school's admissions committee. Again another assumption, which goes against what is clearly stated on school websites, but I'll give you this one, it could be true, but again you have a GMAT score good enough for any school. This and you GPA disqualifies you as an underdog

I re-applied to CBS and was dinged without an interview despite improving my GMAT score by 40 points, getting promoted, and getting a leadership position in my community (sometimes it's just bad luck).
So your underdog strategy didnt really work here huh? More reason you shouldn't be charging for services. I know I'm being mean, but look at the qualifications of REAL consultants.

Yes, I am suggesting that there is an "underdog" strategy.
I agree, but you aren't an underdog......

Finally to address one of your last points: "because you got into Wharton with above average stats that makes you qualified to help other such "underdogs?" - I think that you're reading a little too much into what I am saying. I'm not promising that I will help just any schmuck get into an Ivy league school - I'm trying to emphasize that even people with major weaknesses in their profile can effectively structure their essays and get interviews from top schools.
I didnt say or imply that. Let me Explicit: Your stats are above average, your demographic is under represented. You are NOT an underdog and not qualified to charge people for your opinion as one.

I never claimed that I was an expert at marketing myself, but I am offering help based on my background and experience.So then stick to helping females with 3.7s and 720's

Thanks again - let me know if you have other questions.

Nik

I'm moving this topic to the moderator only forum for discussion. Once a decision is made I will notify you.

My point is this, you cant spin you story as that of an underdog then charge people as a underdog consultant when you aren't one. If you want to make some extra money become a GMAT tutor. This post has me riled up because what else will you say if someone actually reaches out to you? How can we be sure your not going to tell the kid with a 640 and a 2.7 that he is good to go at CBS but you need to bill another 2 hours to reread his essay.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Introducing "Underdog" MBA Consultants...is this post OK? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
This can be moved into the admissions consultants forum. As long as it stays there, it is ok.
GMAT Club Bot
Introducing "Underdog" MBA Consultants...is this post OK? [#permalink]