Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 16:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:48) correct 27% (01:07) wrong based on 72 sessions
Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.
(A) in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than
(B) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than
(C) in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than were
(D) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were
(E) in isolation and without contacts with Europeans longer than

This has been disucussed on the forum many times. Please clarify my doubt about the comparison made in B and D.

Why is B incorrect?

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska (were isolated from contact with Europeans).

When should be use verb as is used in 'D' and when we can omit the verb as is done in 'B'. Please give your insight.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 0

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

The first thing which should be on mind when we find out any
any comparison is that both comparators should be equal. Here "X than Y", so X=Y.
"Inuits were isolated" cannot be equal to "Inuits of NP". And if we do so we are comparing
an action ( being isolated ) with directly a noun. Which can never make sense. We have to compare actions here. Hence "than WERE .... " is needed to show that we are comparing the isolation factor for both Inuits.
Anyway, I saw one more interesting point in this Q. How to choose between "C" and "D". I really hate to get an answer -- "It is idiomatic!". I think idioms are goodie packs for native english speakers. Anyways. I think "in isolation from" is not idiomatic. I will love to see some grammatical explanation for the same.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 12:14
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:

This has been disucussed on the forum many times. Please clarify my doubt about the comparison made in B and D.

Why is B incorrect?

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska (were isolated from contact with Europeans).

When should be use verb as is used in 'D' and when we can omit the verb as is done in 'B'. Please give your insight.

Its basically parallel comparision...Inuits of the Bering Sea were has to be in parallel with anything that comes after euporeans ..Than were Aleuts...does this job better than B
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 92

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2009, 21:41
hi everyone.
That is the question that kills me.

Here is my question between C and D. Please gurus!! help me to catch it.

435. Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

why C is not better:
1) were isolated changes the meaning. The sentence receive the inflection of action. Look's like someone isolated it, rather than it was an usual juncture of events.
2) in isolation from X is quite idiomatic. FE considered in isolation from its context (from OxfordAmericanDictionary )
3) c is active, d is passive!!!

I HOPE THAT YOU WILL HELP ME!!!

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Last edited by Ayrish on 21 Dec 2009, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 14:53
just like ayrish says, I thought the answer to this one is C. Guess I went through this question earlier too while solving OG or verbal review.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 92

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 07:44
prepforgmat wrote:
just like ayrish says, I thought the answer to this one is C. Guess I went through this question earlier too while solving OG or verbal review.

Hi prepfg.
so, have you seen the Of.expl.? If yes please help me to find it. I need to catch this q. I googled the internet, but notihg on the other sites too. (((

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 2

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish,

This Q is in the verbal review #106, and verbal review 2nd edition# 103.
I was wrong on this one. The correct answer is D and explaination is given on page#303. Reason for the error is given as "Idiom +logical predication". Construction "in isolation from" is awkward.
so, between B and D,
B--means that inuits of Bering Sea were isolated from Europeans longer than they were isolated from Aleuts.
D--means that Inuits of Bering Sea were isolated from Europeans for a longer time than the time period that Aleuts were isolated from Europeans.
Hope this makes it clear and Thank you as I got to learn from this query too.
8 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 205 [8] , given: 9

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
The problem with option B is that it's ambiguous. Whenever you have two options in a comparison in which the difference is a helping verb think of ambiguity

B contains two possible interpretations

(1) Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than [from] Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.
Incorrect intended meaning

(2) Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than [were] Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska

correct meaning

Since there is an ambiguity the helping verb is necessary

Normally if you have Sub + verb + obj or prep phrase + comparison + object
you may have this kind of ambiguity and you need the helping verb to solve it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 2

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 00:25
(B) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than - As if from contact with Europeans who were longer than Inuits (comparing Inuits with Europeans)

(D) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were - (comparing Inuits of Bering Sea with Inuits of North Pacific and northern Alaska )

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 23:10
imo D;
although must admit; were at the end throws you off a bit;
urchin has nicely pointed out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 19:57
D is correct , whenever there is difference of little word in two best choices , identify whether little word is changing the meaning if so option with little word is better choice in the most of the cases
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 21:08
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:

Why is B incorrect?

Lets rephrase it to make it simple:

X was in isloation from Y longer than Z of North Pacific.

What we want to convey is the following ides:

X was isolated from Y longer than X was isolated from Z of North Pacific.

Which can be written as:

X was isolated from Y longer than was Z of North Pacific.

So we we revert back the answer should be like:
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolation from contact with Europeans longer than were Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

So D should be correct.

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 00:31
than were is essential. So C and D.
isolated is preferred over in isolation from contact.
D

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 00:39
B is ambiguous about whom they were isolated from - eurpoeans or Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.
C is not the prefereed form of teh idiom - isolated from is better than in isolation from.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 22

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 21:49
Guys i need to discuss Option C as explanation given in OG Verbal Review 2nd edition

Option C::::Explanation says if we don't use were after than it ill mean like

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from the contact with Europeans longer
THAN
Inuits of the Bering Sea from Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific & Northern Alaska.

But when we ill use were after than

Option D :::Meaning ill be

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from the contact with Europeans longer
THAN
were Aleuts or Inuits of the north Pacific & Northern Alaska.

My question is how ill be come to know that we have to check comparison mentioned in Option D but not the comparison mentioned in Option C

Pls comment

I think as Idiom is X than Y and X and Y are two parallel Structure so we need y having same logical structure as X

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 10:50
Hi,
Literal expansion of choice D is
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were Aluets or Inuits of the North Pacific and northers Alaska.

But, the expected answer seem to be
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aluets or Inuits of the North Pacific and northers Alaska were <isolated from Europeans>

Above doesnt seem to be a meaningful sentence. Are there any assumptions made in the above sentence?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 11:41
A, C and E does not have verb....between B and D... having were in the make the comparison clear... so it should D.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:14
Explanation is not convincing. My questions is the expanded answer doesnt make sense, so are there any assumptions to be made
Hi,
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were Aluets or Inuits of the North Pacific and northers Alaska.

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aluets or Inuits of the North Pacific and northers Alaska were <isolated from Europeans>

Above doesnt seem to be a meaningful sentence. Are there any assumptions made in the above sentence?
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1200 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:21
kiranck007 wrote:
Explanation is not convincing. My questions is the expanded answer doesnt make sense, so are there any assumptions to be made
Hi,

This is an official question, everything is correct! The above sentence is perfect.

Where you place the ausiliar verb ("were") does not matter, both sentences are correct and mean the same thing.

The expantion of D is:

Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were <isolated from Europeans> Aluets or Inuits of the North Pacific and northers Alaska.

If you have a specific doubt about D, please post it, but keep in mind that the your two examples mean the same thing.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:33
Hi, Zarrolou.

Yes, both the sentences posted by me are one and the same. What I am not understanding is the literal expansion of the answer doesnt seem to be make a meaningful sentence. So, are there any assumptions to be made to make a meaningful sentence out of the given answer.
Below sentence from you doesnt make meaningful sentence to me.
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were isolated from Europeans Aluets or Inuits of the North Pacific and northers Alaska.

Last edited by kiranck007 on 09 Jul 2013, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 22:33