Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Investigators concluded that human failure was not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Investigators concluded that human failure was not [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 10:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Investigators concluded that human failure was not responsible for the fatal airplane crash last August, and since that time new and more stringent rules for identifying and reporting mechanical problems have been in effect. That accounts for the fact that reports of airplane mechanical problems have increased in frequency by 50 percent since last August.
Which one of the following is an assumption underlying the argument in the passage?
(A) Airplane travel is still relatively safe, despite the increase in reported mechanical problems.
(B) Mechanical problems in airplanes have increased dramatically since last August.
(C) Mechanical problems in airplanes have not increased by 50 percent since last August.
(D) Airlines are less reluctant to report mechanical problems than they previously were.
(E) Mechanical problems in airplanes have become easier to detect since last August.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - LSAT [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 12:48
alimad wrote:
Investigators concluded that human failure was not responsible for the fatal airplane crash last August, and since that time new and more stringent rules for identifying and reporting mechanical problems have been in effect. That accounts for the fact that reports of airplane mechanical problems have increased in frequency by 50 percent since last August.
Which one of the following is an assumption underlying the argument in the passage?
(A) Airplane travel is still relatively safe, despite the increase in reported mechanical problems.
(B) Mechanical problems in airplanes have increased dramatically since last August.
(C) Mechanical problems in airplanes have not increased by 50 percent since last August.
(D) Airlines are less reluctant to report mechanical problems than they previously were.
(E) Mechanical problems in airplanes have become easier to detect since last August.

A, C, & D are irrelevant.

argument claims that there was a 50% increase in reports on mechanical problems, the clear assumption here is that it has become easier to detect such problems since August. however, we cannot assume that the mechanical problems have highly increased since August.

thus, answer is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - LSAT [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 13:36
r019h wrote:
A, C, & D are irrelevant.

argument claims that there was a 50% increase in reports on mechanical problems, the clear assumption here is that it has become easier to detect such problems since August. however, we cannot assume that the mechanical problems have highly increased since August.

thus, answer is E.

I do not agree with this. I think C is highly relevant.

Quote:

The assumption here is that the "new and stringent rules" are the reason for the 50% increase of problem reports. If the mechanical problems would have become easier to detect like E claims then there would be increase in reports of problems with or without these "new and stringent rules".
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 14:57
I agree with the answer being C. I come to this conclusion with using a negation rule. This rule is used to make an answer incorrect. Try to apply each of the answer slections to the question stem, and then ask yourself if it logically makes sense.

Here's how I looked at it.

First sentence states something along the lines of a plane crashing - thus the govt is increasing it's requirements for safety. The next sentence says "we have seen an increase of 50% increase in mechanical problems." And then they try to confuse us with a statement "[/quote]
Intern
Intern

Re: CR - LSAT [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 17:54
I'm going with C as well. "That accounts for the fact that reports of airplane mechanical problems have increased in frequency by 50 percent since last August." The more stringent rules have led to increased detection no more mechanical problems.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 00:20
C is my pick.

E says that 'Mechanical problems in airplanes have become easier to detect since last August'.
First of all, they have not become easier to detect. The only thing is that they are reported lot more because of regulations.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 02:59
is'nt it "D"
Airlines are less reluctant.. earlier they were reluctant, now they are not....
option "C" says Mechanical problems in airplanes have not increased by 50 percent since last August, which may not be the case i.e., it may have increased and cannot be ruled out...

Correct me if wrong... :shock:

Cheers,
Circkit
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - LSAT [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 03:34
I was between C & E... Now I think is C.

If the mechanica problems have increased 50%, them the reports would increase (perhaps not 50%) even without the more stringent rules.
So as the rules now are in place and mechanical problems haven't increased, they now can identify and report them...

I wouldn't have gotten this question right on an actual GMAT for sure :cry:
Intern
Intern

Re: CR - LSAT [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 10:27
alimad wrote:

Paraphrase:
The number of mechanical problems reported in the planes increased by 50%, after new rules are implemented.

E) Mechanical problems in airplanes have become easier to detect since last August.
Re: CR - LSAT   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2007, 10:27