Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [29]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [2]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [4]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [3]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Investing in real estate would be a profitable venture at this time. A [#permalink]
Kudos
sudarshan22 wrote:
+1 for D.

(D) Readers of House magazine are more likely than most people to want second homes. --> Correct

Reason : The logical flaw in stimulus is that it readily assumes the sample provided is enough to draw the conclusion that the investment is booming. But, option D weakens the argument by stating that 85% (high interest) is only among the magazine readers and not as a whole.

Hence, D.

With the same opinion,

Quote:
A survey in House magazine revealed that 85% of the magazine’s readers are planning to buy a second home over the next few years.

Say if there are 10000 citizens and only 1000 reads the House magazine then out of those only 850 are planning to buy a second home.

Thus actually it represents only 8.50 % of the citizens..

Hence with (D)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Re: Investing in real estate would be a profitable venture at this time. A [#permalink]
Abhishek009 wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:
+1 for D.

(D) Readers of House magazine are more likely than most people to want second homes. --> Correct

Reason : The logical flaw in stimulus is that it readily assumes the sample provided is enough to draw the conclusion that the investment is booming. But, option D weakens the argument by stating that 85% (high interest) is only among the magazine readers and not as a whole.

Hence, D.

With the same opinion,

Quote:
A survey in House magazine revealed that 85% of the magazine’s readers are planning to buy a second home over the next few years.

Say if there are 10000 citizens and only 1000 reads the House magazine then out of those only 850 are planning to buy a second home.

Hence with (D)

I second your reasoning. Perfectly highlighted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Abhishek009 wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:
+1 for D.

Hence, D.

With the same opinion,

Quote:

Hence with (D)

Ok, but the last sentence is saying that ''the current supply of homes could only provide for 65% of THAT demand (or 65% of 850) each year''. If the study is regarding specifically the demand of House Magazine readers, D wouldn't be right. It was only me who had this interpretation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
LZ123 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:
+1 for D.

Hence, D.

With the same opinion,

Quote:

Hence with (D)

Ok, but the last sentence is saying that ''the current supply of homes could only provide for 65% of THAT demand (or 65% of 850) each year''. If the study is regarding specifically the demand of House Magazine readers, D wouldn't be right. It was only me who had this interpretation?

I had the same interpretation.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Investing in real estate would be a profitable venture at this time. A survey in House magazine revealed that 85% of the magazine's readers are planning to buy a second home over the next few years. A study of the real estate industry, however, revealed that the current supply of homes could only provide for 65% of that demand each year.

Which of the following, if true, reveals a weakness in the evidence cited above?

(A) Real estate is a highly labor-intensive business.

(B) Home builders are not evenly distributed across the country.

(C) The number of people who want second homes has been increasing each year for the past ten years.

(D) Readers of House magazine are more likely than most people to want second homes.

(E) House magazine includes articles about owning a second home as well as articles about building a second home.

TWIN QUESTION: https://gmatclub.com/forum/investing-in ... 69846.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
I have a doubt. The premise says that 85% of survey takers want to buy a 2nd house and only 65% of that demand could be met. *current supply of homes could only provide for 65% of that demand each year*. If only magazine readers want to buy a 2nd house, doesn't that mean demand > supply, therefore the prices will go up?

Please help me out guys
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34 (Online)
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
shubham88 wrote:
I have a doubt. The premise says that 85% of survey takers want to buy a 2nd house and only 65% of that demand could be met. *current supply of homes could only provide for 65% of that demand each year*. If only magazine readers want to buy a 2nd house, doesn't that mean demand > supply, therefore the prices will go up?

Please help me out guys

The weakness against the argument lies in the fact that it's pretty much unsure if this sample population of readers is representative of the demand for buying 2nd home. This in turn brings up the conclusion that these readers can be more willing to want to buy and hence do not actually represent the increasing demand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [4]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos
Investing in real estate would be a profitable venture at this time. A survey in House magazine revealed that 85% of the magazine's readers are planning to buy a second home over the next few years. A study of the real estate industry, however, revealed that the current supply of homes could only provide for 65% of that demand each year.

Which of the following, if true, reveals a weakness in the evidence cited above?

Premise: 85% of magazine readers want to buy houses
Premise: 65% of those are satisfied.
Conclusion: real estate is profitable (why? because demand is greater than supply)
Possible weaken choice: when we see percentage, we should be cautious and think whether it could be translated into numbers. In addition, since the percentage here seems to describe surveyed people. We can think of: whether samples were biased, whether questions were biased (not shown here), whether the responses were biased (not shown here).
(If you couldn't think of the above, it's ok. Look at my explanations below)

(A) Real estate is a highly labor-intensive business.

labor intensive doesn't have anything to do with the "profit" side of real estate in this problem.
Someone might think that labor intensive might mean higher wages, etc. But it is possible that we have the same number of people with the same wages (ps: happens a lot in developing counties where people were exploited by capitalism). Therefore, labor-intensive is unable to prove that real estate is not profitable.

(B) Home builders are not evenly distributed across the country.

Whether home builders are evenly distributed have nothing to do with profitability. Unless the choice says, home builders are not evenly distributed which somehow make real estate not profitable etc.

(C) The number of people who want second homes has been increasing each year for the past ten years.

Increasing number of people only make this industry more opportunities/clients -> more lucrative. Strengthen the conclusion.

(D) Readers of House magazine are more likely than most people to want second homes.

I haven't seen any good explanations for this choice under this problem. Here is my try:
85% of the magazines readers. The people who conduct the research automatically apply this percentage 85% to the broader groups / entire society. And that 65% is obtained by real research. Ehh that sounds horrible. For example: let's say an entire society have 100 people. The magazine surveyed 20 ppl and 85% of them (17 ppl) want to buy a house. Then the magazine simply apply this 85% to that 100 people society. At the same time, there is a research saying currently there are 65 people being fulfilled. Note: 17 vs. 65. Not very profitable!

I seriously doubt that I made myself clear... But srsly, by looking at other answer choices, this is the only one that make a little tiny sense. But any opinions and discussions are welcomed!

(E) House magazine includes articles about owning a second home as well as articles about building a second home.

Isn't that what a typical house magazine includes? I don't know why so many people chose E, but I thought what E can do is this: by including so many things about second house, increase someone's desire to buy a house. Therefore, the survey is biased because most of these ppl now want to buy a second house after reading all those articles! But isn't that what D is saying? D is much clearer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Investing in real estate would be a profitable venture at this time. A [#permalink]
As always, this problem is about a poor sample of respondents. The answer D is absolutely correct. On the other hand, planning something and actually doing it is different. For example, I was planning to buy a new house, but I wasn't able to do it, because I didn't have the money for it, lol. But two months ago I've inherited a house in Coventry and sold it to this https://www.thepropertybuyingcompany.co.uk company. Now I have enough money for the actual buying a house somewhere. And now I don't have only plans, but a possibility.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I would like to know if that statistic still stands today, notwithstanding the flaws in the argument anyway (the magazine may have only had 20 readers or 5 take the survey). With properties spiking at the moment, but expected to fall in Q1 next year I suspect there will be more people selling to companies than buying. The second home in the countryside is now more likely to become the main home. And buying pied a terres in the city seems less appealing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
Send PM
There is a fundamental flaw in the language of the question, the questions says 65% of 'that' demand... even if there are 100 readers to the magazine and 85 of them are wanting to own a second home, the current supply is only enough to meet 65% of 'that' demand i.e. 65% of 85 people... Option E touches upon people actually building a home themselves and opening out an option for people to actually build a home rather than relying on the 'supply' of homes... as per the current language E should be correct, however, common logic says this is highly unrealistic to have supply for only 65% of magazine readers... I choose Option E as per the question

Please help if there is a flaw in my reasoning
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts