Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Investment Management - Booth VS Columbia

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Investment Management - Booth VS Columbia [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 07:25
So this has been talked about ad nauseum in one way shape or form but I wanted to go ahead and get some peoples opinions on this.. obviously Columbia has the NYC/Hedge Fund arena in its back yard and allows you to do a lot of coffee/drinks networking with alum right then and there and also the value investing program which is great for if you want to do equities investing, but booth is known for having a stronger 'finance' curriculum. Both place very well into investment management roles, but what is the difference? I could see CBS Value investors placing better into the equity and specifically value based hedge funds who grind more at the fundamentals and contrarian bases, but does booth go ahead and place better into funds that utilize derivatives and more abstract quant strategies? The list for both is pretty impressive and I'm sure there is some differentiation but just curious to hear what people think/know.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Investment Management - Booth VS Columbia [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 12:00
You are absolutely right, but what kind of asset management are you personally interested in? Chicago knocks the socks off any school in the world when it comes to quantitative finance and economics. Think Fama, Cochrane, Moskowitz, Pastor, Rajan etc. - a whole galaxy of rockstar professors. Upon my exchange to Booth, I found the analytic finance curriculum challenging and extremely rewarding. But, the workload at Chicago was brutal and didn't leave much time for coffee chats with alums and funds(more a function of me loading up on all good classes in one term). But, upon returning to London I realised that my knowledge levels and confidence were far higher after having experienced a term at Chicago.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Investment Management - Booth VS Columbia   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2011, 12:00