Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: Investment Mgmt Internships [#permalink]
What do people mean when they say wealth management?

Is this the retail side of IM?

I'll be looking for IM internships next year, so I'll follow this thread closely.
Current Student
Send PM
I think of wealth mgmt as something closer to financial planning, not something like research. So you'd be working one-on-one with rich folks, helping them manage their portfolios, account for taxes, handle estate planning, that sort of stuff. So in some cases it would be the retail side of IM, but there are also independent shops.

For investment mgmt, I'm talking about working as a research analyst for a fund, perhaps covering 15-20 companies in a certain industry or being more of a generalist. So you're doing things like looking through SEC filings, building financial models, listening to earnings calls, etc, all in an effort to value the stock.

The thing is, investment mgmt is a very scalable business, so these funds can take on tons more assets without adding new people. They make the same amount of decisions, they just buy bigger positions. For example, I've been talking to a well-respected mutual fund with over $200bn in assets. They only take 2 interns per year. Makes you want to resort to i-banking ;)
Director
Director
Send PM
Which mutual fund is this?

What time of the year are they recruiting for internships?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
naturallight wrote:
The thing is, investment mgmt is a very scalable business, so these funds can take on tons more assets without adding new people. They make the same amount of decisions, they just buy bigger positions. For example, I've been talking to a well-respected mutual fund with over $200bn in assets. They only take 2 interns per year. Makes you want to resort to i-banking ;)

This is what scares me about IM, plus the fact that the recruiting is later in the year compared to everything else. I might be tempted to go IB for my internship and first job out of school, and then make the transition to IM after that. Do you have any tips on how to prepare for IM before heading to bschool?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
forcefeed wrote:
This is what scares me about IM, plus the fact that the recruiting is later in the year compared to everything else. I might be tempted to go IB for my internship and first job out of school, and then make the transition to IM after that. Do you have any tips on how to prepare for IM before heading to bschool?

Network.
Director
Director
Send PM
Here's another biggie...

One of the exit opportunities out of IB is to get into IM. In fact, some of the best IM jobs aren't available to fresh MBAs and are only open to seasoned MBAs/CFAs.

But the only (typical) entrance into IB is either out of undergrad or MBA....So do you get that top tier IB job and then jump ship to IM after 1-2 years or try to gun for IM on the get go.

I'm thinking of IB just because of the simple fact that I won't be able to land an IB job if I don't get it right out of B school. Do IB for 1 year and then jump ship to greener pastures.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
baer wrote:
Network.

I can't recall where I saw this, but I have heard some people state that networking isn't as important for IM. I've bought a couple of books that GSB's IMG recommends, but am always looking for more advice.
Current Student
Send PM
forcefeed wrote:
Do you have any tips on how to prepare for IM before heading to bschool?

I think I wrote a big post on this last year, but here's the short version:

- read as many books on investing as you can
- build your own stock portfolio
- write up a long and a short stock pitch
- look into the cfa program
- read the wsj each day
Current Student
Send PM
baer wrote:
forcefeed wrote:
baer wrote:
Network.

I can't recall where I saw this, but I have heard some people state that networking isn't as important for IM. I've bought a couple of books that GSB's IMG recommends, but am always looking for more advice.

My experience would support the contrary. My brother works in IM (fixed income), and it's a very small community of people, who all know each other (at least in NYC). He got his job straight from networking out of undergrad, he's not an MBA or CFA either.
A common perception about IM is that if you lose money, you'll be quickly fired. Though this is true, no one ever mentions that other desks are very quick to hire axed traders. This is because of the networking you will do at work and after work. It not a coincidence that his firm is entirely composed of Columbia MBA's.

yeah, I think it just depends how you define 'networking'. it isn't like schmoozing at the events the banks have. it's more like getting in touch with alumni on your own and building a relationship.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Here is naturallight's excellent post on asset management: 103-t46310

Some other information can also be found here: 103-t46380

Quote:
No, I don't think you will be at a disadvantage as long as you start this summer and really get into it. The MBA guys I know who are summer interns at places like Franklin Templeton and some smaller hedge funds have said that asset mgmt employers don't really care about grades, but they do like to see a strong personal interest.

So here are some of the things that I've been doing over the past year to convey that I have a strong personal interest in asset mgmt (if you want to do sellside stuff the list would obviously be different):

1) Read the WSJ everyday. I spend about half an hour doing this, which is enough time to fully read some interesting stories and scan the first paragraph of all of the other stories.

2) Read as many investment books as possible. Start off with Lynch's One Up On Wall Street and Greenblatt's Little Book and You can be a Stock Market Genius. These are fun reads with practical tips. If you like it, you can move onto Grahman and some tougher stuff.

3) Build a small stock and bond portfolio. Great way to apply some rudimentary stock research and also learn a little bit about portfolio mgmt. Start off with safer large caps, keeping things as diverse as possible. Try to track the S&P 500, not beat it. Buy and hold--keep the trading to a minimum, otherwise you'll get eaten alive on fees.

4) Write up two stock pitches. Chicago's IMG site has some great tips, examples, and templates for this. (The weather's been too good here, I haven't done this yet. I think it's gonna be really hard, but better to do in now than while school is in session.)

5) Look into the CFA program (but only for buyside stuff)! I would not recommend trying to do this during the 1st year, but I think you could take level 1 in June right after you graduate without too much extra studying. Studying for these tests is very time-consuming--the curriculum is super broad. But the CFA is starting to become pretty standard for any research or port mgmt function in asset mgmt.

6) Maybe try to talk with some NYU eq research guys over the summer?

I'm sure there's some other stuff, but I can't think of it now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
naturallight wrote:
yeah, I think it just depends how you define 'networking'. it isn't like schmoozing at the events the banks have. it's more like getting in touch with alumni on your own and building a relationship.

Exactly... we we're talking about two separate things... lol.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Good to see you're still around baer. Sent you a kudos for this post. Very useful info for an aspiring trader like myself :)

baer wrote:
forcefeed wrote:
baer wrote:
Network.

My experience would support the contrary. My brother works in IM (fixed income), and it's a very small community of people, who all know each other (at least in NYC). He got his job straight from networking out of undergrad, he's not an MBA or CFA either.
A common perception about IM is that if you lose money, you'll be quickly fired. Though this is true, no one ever mentions that other desks are very quick to hire axed traders. This is because of the networking you will do at work and after work. It not a coincidence that his firm is entirely composed of Columbia MBA's.
Director
Director
Send PM
So should I take the CFA Level 1 before I start this Fall?

Have you guys noticed any CFA level 2 candidates getting noticed more for interviews or is the Level 1 pretty much nothing?

I'm weighing the option of chilling and goofing around or being serious and studying for level 1.
Current Student
Send PM
gmatclb wrote:
So should I take the CFA Level 1 before I start this Fall?

Have you guys noticed any CFA level 2 candidates getting noticed more for interviews or is the Level 1 pretty much nothing?

I'm weighing the option of chilling and goofing around or being serious and studying for level 1.

It's a pretty brutal, time-consuming process, so I would think carefully about it. The failure rates for each level are 40-60%. It's primarily designed for a research/PM job function, so if you think you might want to do i-banking or corporate finance, it won't be as helpful. If you did decide to do it, you should start studying right away.

Lots of people sign up for level 1, put it on their resumes, and don't really follow through with it. So being able to put "Level 2 candidate" on your resume would help, but it probably isn't huge.

naturallight, CFA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
naturallight, do you have official CFA designation? Or you've just taken and passed all levels?
Director
Director
Send PM
naturallight wrote:

naturallight, CFA

What were you doing before B school?

And what were the job prospects like with just the CFA on your resume?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
So, if you are a chartered CFA, that means you had 4 years of relevant work experience ? I hope you don't mind my asking why you are pursuing an MBA if you have the official charter?
I have a friend, a sell side analyst, is a CFA but does not think an MBA is necessary.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2