Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Iowa ($$$) vs. BYU

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

BYU or Iowa [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:50
Given the two options what would you choose?

BYU
No scholarship (may come, but don't know anything yet)
Tuition $10,600 per year.
Ranked mid 30s
Average Salary: $90,000

Iowa
Full Tuition Scholarship (plus health insurance)
Ranked mid 40s
Average Salary: $80,000

I attended BYU for my undergrad. I'm a Mormon so the BYU honor code isn't an issue for me. I will be studying Marketing.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Iowa ($$$) vs. BYU [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:46
I'd say go to BYU. The cost of attendance is low even without a scholarship, and salaries are higher which will make up for the additional cost pretty quickly.
Current Student

Re: Iowa ($$$) vs. BYU [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 10:50
Thanks for the input.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 79

Re: BYU or Iowa [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:21
I would definitely choose Iowa, but that's only because I really, really love corn. :food

In all seriousness, you're in a great position--congratulations on the admits and scholarship offer! At this stage, I wouldn't worry at all about the cost, since the two are ultimately so similar in your case, and an extra $20,000 is a rounding error when you think about it over the course of your career. And I wouldn't obsess over the average salary data or the rankings, either. You could argue that BYU maybe has a slightly higher profile nationally, but the differences in salary and rankings aren't all that huge.

I'm not an expert on BYU or Iowa's business school, but I have a very positive impression of both places in terms of the quality of the teaching. I don't think you can go too wrong with either place, but I'm willing to wager that you'll encounter substantially different environments at the two schools, and there are definitely differences in the curriculum, culture, and types of firms that recruit on each campus. Honestly, I think you should focus on the qualitative differences, and don't worry so much about the data from US News or Businessweek. Go wherever you think you'll have the more enjoyable learning experience, and you'll be fine.

But maybe it all comes down to whether you want a change of scenery, since you already did your undergrad at BYU? Have you been to Iowa City? It's roughly the same size as Provo, but the similarities pretty much end right there. I like Iowa City, and it's a great place if you want a good, solid, tight-knit, Midwestern-type community. But if you plan to stay in Utah or somewhere else out west, then BYU might make more sense.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Good luck with the decision, and let us know what you decide to do!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Current Student

Re: BYU or Iowa [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:29
Thanks for the insights. My only real concern with BYU is that it is the same school as my undergrad. I graduated from a different program in my undergrad so my network at BYU will still be mostly new, but does it look bad/weird to a potential employer to have both degrees from the same school? I have heard that this can be a negative, but I'm not sure how much of an impact it would really have.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 79

Re: BYU or Iowa [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:40
I don't think that attending the same institution is inherently a negative in the eyes of employers. If anything, there might be a few people out there who think that your loyalty is endearing. The only real issue is if your potential employers aren't familiar with BYU--or if they aren't particularly impressed by BYU for whatever silly reason. I think that might depend on the industry and the region of the country, to some degree. If you're at all interested in living in the Midwest or if you're interested in working in, say, agribusiness or insurance, you might as well diversify and go with Iowa.

Otherwise? If you think you'd be happier at BYU, I really don't see much of a downside. And the skiing in Utah is way better than the skiing in Iowa. :-D

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: BYU or Iowa   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 16:40