Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys....
If you are like me and are on public transport a lot, and you own an iphone/ipod then you should consider downloading the following apps/podcasts:

1) Veritas Prep - This is from Veritas and it is free 8-) . In a nutshell it has the following key features:
- 185 questions varying from easy to hard, all with explanations
- practice mode (untimed) and test mode (timed)
- stats for average, fastest, slowest, total time
- list of questions you got right/wrong and review feature for these
So far I've found the questions to be a little on the easier side, but I guess that's sort of good because I wouldn't want to use working out paper on the train. The only annoying thing is that the question will be split across two tabs, one for the question and one for the answer so you need to tab a bit, not a huge deal I guess.

2) GoodReader - This is a paid app but its only $2 I think. Lets you do the following:
- Reads PDF, word, excel etc.
- Lets you easily wireless transfer files to your iphone
Personally I find the UI pretty easy and it formats docos quite well.
I pretty much use it for flashcards and my notes. The two best flashcard resources I've come across are:
- Manhattan GMAT - good for reinforcing concepts http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-flashcards.cfm
- BeatTheGMAT - haven't used extensively but the writeups are good beatthegmat.blogspot.com/
- GMAT idioms list - download the file off the verbal area of this forum and you can refer to it when you're on the train (or bored at work in a meeting :-D )
There are free similar programs to this as well but I find this one good.

3) Instapaper - This is free as well and lets you do the following: (Thanks go to nink for recommending this one).
- Archive a website to view offline later on your webphone
- Formats archived websites for iphones (no sideways scrolling required for those pesky websites)
I find this useful for two things:
- Reading long websites or blog sites, instead of loading it each time this just archives it and i can read it instantly
- Archiving useful sites such as the "How to get a 6.0 in AWA" or other useful stickies on this forum so you can refer to it briefly every now and then.

4) MBA Podcaster - I searched high and low for useful podcasts and this is the best one I've found so far. It does feature a few podcasts on GMAT but it is more useful for people who have completed their GMAT and are getting ready for B-school. It has interviews with various adcoms as well as industry recruiters to give prospective MBA students a view of these things. I find it an outstanding resource though.

5) GMATClub Apps - I haven't personally used this yet. Will be getting it when I'm done with the Veritas questions but if it is as good as the rest of the resources on GMAT club it will be top notch.
gmat-toolkit-iphone-ipod-application-82830.html

Hopefully others have some useful apps to share as well :)

If you are interested in what other GMATClubbers are using or feel like contributing what you use, there is a post for iphone aps in the off-topic section but since this is more GMAT specific I thought I'd post it here. The off topic post is here:
which-apple-iphone-apps-do-you-use-77576.html
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 22:34
Thanks for the shoutout for MBA Podcaster :) Our latest show discusses what to do with a low GMAT score: http://www.mbapodcaster.com/MBA_MoreInf ... Episode=85

We are actually coming out with a series of videos all about the GMAT. We'll have dedicated shows for every section of the GMAT plus extra sections going through practice tests. Shows will be coming out in the coming month. Stay tuned!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 22:42
Hey there, didn't know you guys were on the forum :) Keep up the good work. I’ve gotten a lot of value out of your podcasts.

I guess different people will find use out of the different podcasts depending on where they are on the MBA process. Personally I’ve found the podcasts which feature interviews with Adcoms and recruiters the most useful, followed closely by essay tips.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8807 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 11:32
Expert's post
yangsta8 wrote:
Hey there, didn't know you guys were on the forum :).

I did not either :lol:

Yungsta - happy to give you free codes for the GMAT Club apps. If you have time, would appreciate a short review on the iTunes.
Will PM in a few mins.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 13:57
bb wrote:
Yungsta - happy to give you free codes for the GMAT Club apps. If you have time, would appreciate a short review on the iTunes.
Will PM in a few mins.

hey BB, thanks for your generosity. I just gave it a shot but got this message "This code is only valid for customers of the US Store" :(

Someone once told me how to change my settings to the US store but apparently Apple has fixed it so now it recognises which country your account is linked to and switches back.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8807 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 14:05
Expert's post
yangsta8 wrote:
bb wrote:
Will PM in a few mins.

hey BB, thanks for your generosity. I just gave it a shot but got this message "This code is only valid for customers of the US Store" :(

Someone once told me how to change my settings to the US store but apparently Apple has fixed it so now it recognises which country your account is linked to and switches back.

Hm... let me ask Walker - he is an expert in this area.
(can you use iTunes application instead of iPhone)?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 363

Kudos [?]: 1791 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 23:23
Expert's post
yangsta8 wrote:
.... I just gave it a shot but got this message "This code is only valid for customers of the US Store" :(

Hi!

Unfortunately, we can generate codes only for US. I don't know why. But there is a good news: you can open new account in US Store and use two accounts without problems. You don't need credit card. You need:

1. logout
2. click in the Apple Store on any free app.
3. When system will ask you to enter account, choose Create new account. Then you will see option "none" for credit card.

I use a few accounts and it works.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 19:02
yangsta8 wrote:
Hey guys....
If you are like me and are on public transport a lot, and you own an iphone/ipod then you should consider downloading the following apps/podcasts:

1) Veritas Prep - This is from Veritas and it is free 8-) . In a nutshell it has the following key features:
- 185 questions varying from easy to hard, all with explanations
- practice mode (untimed) and test mode (timed)
- stats for average, fastest, slowest, total time
- list of questions you got right/wrong and review feature for these
So far I've found the questions to be a little on the easier side, but I guess that's sort of good because I wouldn't want to use working out paper on the train. The only annoying thing is that the question will be split across two tabs, one for the question and one for the answer so you need to tab a bit, not a huge deal I guess.

2) GoodReader - This is a paid app but its only $2 I think. Lets you do the following:
- Reads PDF, word, excel etc.
- Lets you easily wireless transfer files to your iphone
Personally I find the UI pretty easy and it formats docos quite well.
I pretty much use it for flashcards and my notes. The two best flashcard resources I've come across are:
- Manhattan GMAT - good for reinforcing concepts http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-flashcards.cfm
- BeatTheGMAT - haven't used extensively but the writeups are good beatthegmat.blogspot.com/
- GMAT idioms list - download the file off the verbal area of this forum and you can refer to it when you're on the train (or bored at work in a meeting :-D )
There are free similar programs to this as well but I find this one good.

3) Instapaper - This is free as well and lets you do the following: (Thanks go to nink for recommending this one).
- Archive a website to view offline later on your webphone
- Formats archived websites for iphones (no sideways scrolling required for those pesky websites)
I find this useful for two things:
- Reading long websites or blog sites, instead of loading it each time this just archives it and i can read it instantly
- Archiving useful sites such as the "How to get a 6.0 in AWA" or other useful stickies on this forum so you can refer to it briefly every now and then.

4) MBA Podcaster - I searched high and low for useful podcasts and this is the best one I've found so far. It does feature a few podcasts on GMAT but it is more useful for people who have completed their GMAT and are getting ready for B-school. It has interviews with various adcoms as well as industry recruiters to give prospective MBA students a view of these things. I find it an outstanding resource though.

5) GMATClub Apps - I haven't personally used this yet. Will be getting it when I'm done with the Veritas questions but if it is as good as the rest of the resources on GMAT club it will be top notch.
gmat-toolkit-iphone-ipod-application-82830.html

Hopefully others have some useful apps to share as well :)

If you are interested in what other GMATClubbers are using or feel like contributing what you use, there is a post for iphone aps in the off-topic section but since this is more GMAT specific I thought I'd post it here. The off topic post is here:
which-apple-iphone-apps-do-you-use-77576.html

Thanks for the post. I'm not sure if you were referencing MGMAT's pdf flashcards or iphone flashcards. I installed the iphone flashcards a few days ago and am thrilled to not have to print them out.

On podcasts, I'm like to give a shoutout to Forte Foundation...their podcasts are great! Forte offers a wealth of information for aspiring women MBA's. Not sure of what our presence is on gmatclub but I figured I'd put it out there.

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Re: iPhone Apps and Podcasts to help with GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2010, 19:02