Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IQ:Interesting-profile Quotient. Thoughts on how to boost it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which of these, do you believe, will help you the MOST, in gaining added advantage with the AdComms?

• 20% [2]
  • 30% [3]
  • 20% [2]
  • 30% [3]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 544

IQ:Interesting-profile Quotient. Thoughts on how to boost it [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 05:43
Tacky?? Maybe.
But here's what I think.

Firstly, I'll paint my background here. I've worked as an IT consultant at a multinational for close to four years.
Decent academics (Non-IIT, GPA 3.2 and I'm looking at a GMAT score in the excess of 750) and not-so-great community service or extra curricular activities (Hey, I'm an Indian student. Hang me!). But, here comes the 'interesting' part. (Or so I was told).
For over an year now, I've been working in close association with the president of a political party (State-level) on conceptualizing and implementing strategies that are aimed at improving the efficacy of democratic processes in India. I, personally, have designed (and about to launch) a unique Leadership development program which would, in essence, strive at improving the involvement of youth in societal issues and nation building at large. We've built this strictly as a business model, in the sense that viability has always been the central point. We are now in the process of structuring a sustainable and attractive model for providing career and academic incentives to those who sign up for these Leadership programs. The journey so far has been exciting, enriching and intellectually stimulating, not to mention the unimaginable scope for learning and putting your ideas to test in the market.
I plan to launch for myself a career in political consulting (with youth purported to constitute close to 45% of the electorate by 2019, there sure will be a great demand for people who can talk their language, unite and mobilize them), post MBA with a long term goal of developing an organization to address effectively and ameliorate the educational, health and lifestyle ailments of underprivileged kids in the third world countries.
I've put up my profile for review with a few Business school admissions consultants and what a pleasant feeling it was when they came back in unison talking about how interesting my work is and how good my odds are at the top schools!! (If only I can convey the same message: experience and goals properly synced. Of course, The IMPACT too!)

There is no alternative to following your heart, your passion. That's absolute.
But, I'd love to hear your experiences (specifically from an Indian applicant perspective) on how you plan to get noticed by the admissions committees.

Thanks
KC

Last edited by Kconfused on 06 Nov 2013, 01:32, edited 4 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: IQ:Interesting-profile Quotient. Thoughts on how to boost it [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
That's a good list up there. And let me break your bubble: you need all of those!

The good (or bad, however you look at it) news is that you can't really change your academic performances. Your gpa is a given constant that you work with and you will not take the GMAT, say, more than 4 times max. So, your scores will stagnate somewhere and that will be a reflection of how you perform on the standardized test.

I'd also say those items in the list are not mutually exclusive. That leadership component underlies things you do professionally and things you do as part of community service and things you did in your undergrad. Also, personally, I feel that 'community service' is over-rated. Obviously, you want to come across as a well rounded personality and show that you can contribute outside of classroom environment. But, joining a non profit just for that is a waste. You would do well to take up something you have a genuine interest in.

Finally, the career goals. In some sense, this is the most critical part of your application package. If you are buying a product and you don't know why you want to buy it, it isn't a very smart move, right?
You need to show/articulate what you have envisioned and how your previous experiences fit in. Having said that, schools know that your goals may change. But, they want to know that you have thought through this. For instance, MIT doesn't even ask for goals in their application. They predict your potential based on what you have done in the past.

In essence, if you screw any one of those badly, you aren't getting in a top school.

Coming to your professional experience, it is unique and interesting. Haven't seen a lot of Indian candidates with that background. So, you may have a leg up in the process. But, the most important part is to keep your head down and move ahead. There will be things working for and against you throughout this torturous cycle. Highlight your strengths, address your weaknesses, and remain focused.

Long rant, this. Anyhow, Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: IQ:Interesting-profile Quotient. Thoughts on how to boost it [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 08:04
Thanks for your thoughts!! :)
Business schools do adopt a holistic approach in gauging an applicant's potential and his fit with the school's course structure, culture and legacy. I wanted to know individual favorites though. More precisely, what each one thinks adds most in their favor. But my actual thoughts, or as the title says, on 'Interesting-profile' quotient (however cheesy it may sound :) ) follow the poll question. I was trying to highlight how my continuous work on Democratic reforms in India has made my profile seem interesting, though it is an agreed fact that it is the impact you make in the work you chose to do that counts for the most.
This discussion merely intends to invite strategies that, you think, might help get the attention of the admissions committees, and I've shared my experience up there.

PS: If any of you find my work interesting and if you believe this might add the much needed 'IQ' to your profile (along with all other obvious positives this kind of work brings), please mention it. We're looking for people to participate in ideation, strategy building and implementation. My post above gives a vague idea on what the work might constitute.
We call ourselves, 180Degrees. For a paradigm shift. And we operate from Hyderabad, India.

Thanks all
KC

Last edited by Kconfused on 01 Nov 2013, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: IQ:Interesting-profile Quotient. Thoughts on how to boost it [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 21:49
Guys, can we get a discussion going here?
I thought there is a good scope for a very helpful debate!! For Indian applicants at least, community service and the lack of participation in societal issues has been a major hurdle in cracking admissions. Let us figure out ways.

Thanks
Re: IQ:Interesting-profile Quotient. Thoughts on how to boost it   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 21:49