Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [16]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32835 [1]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [3]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Re: A literature department at a small university in an English-speaking [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi - How long to solve this problem ?

Can this really be solved within 3 - 4 mins ...Took me 3 mins just to get a grasp of the entire picture ...

Thoughts ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Re: A literature department at a small university in an English-speaking [#permalink]
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi - How long to solve this problem ?

Can this really be solved within 3 - 4 mins ...Took me 3 mins just to get a grasp of the entire picture ...

Thoughts ?

Dear jabhatta2
good point :)
In general, you have to tackle one of the 4 two-part analysis questions.
The logic question is arduous; thus, consider to skip.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A quick way to solve this problem:

The most penalized group is (male and English speaking) - The only person is LongFellow
The most welcomed group is (female and other countries) - The only person is Murasaki (There is French too but it is already in the group).

Either day: Murasaki (female, Japanese, Japan)
Neither Day: Longfellow (male, English, USA)
Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
1. Five writers will be featured each day.
2. To reflect the department's strengths, the majority of writers scheduled for one of the days will be writers whose primary writing language is not English.
So, on one day, the primary writing language of at least 3 writers will be non-English.

3. On the other day of the festival, at least four of the writers will be women.

When I scanned the tables for of the two days, I noticed Day 1's table has 3 females and 1 male. Day 2 has 2 females and 2 males. So, the day with at least four women writers would have to be Day 1. And the person who needs to be added to Day 1 would have to be female.

Thus, the other day - Day 2 - would have at least 3 non-English writers. Currently, in the table there are 2 non-English writers. So, the last one to be added would also need to be non-English.

Either day
The person would need to be female and non-English.

That brings us to 

Murasaki (female, Japanese, Japan)
and
Colette (female, French, France)

Now we'll need the following piece of info:

Point 4. Neither day should have more than two writers from the same country.

The French lady (Colette) won't work for Day 1. Day 1 already has two writers from France.

So, Either: Murasaki (female, Japanese, Japan)

Neither day
Neither day means that the person should not eligible for Day 1 and not eligible for Day 2. Any person who is male and writes in English will not work for either day. If I don't find a person who is both male and an English writer, then I'll consider point 4 about more than two writers from the same country.

Longfellow (male, English, USA) is male and writes primarily in English. Anyway he will not work for either day. I don't need to consider point 4.

Neither: Longfellow (male, English, USA)

­­­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92876 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11161 posts