Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IR: OG13 vs. GMAT Prep questions bank

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 16

IR: OG13 vs. GMAT Prep questions bank [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 23:37
Hi guys,

I have practiced the IR section of the OG13, and I solved the problems very well. Now, I am praticing the IR problems of the question bank of the GMAT Prep, including the question bank they sell on line, and I perceive them much more difficult. :s For example, there are some graphics that I have never used in my life!

The difference in the dificulty level between both sources is big.

Should I worry about that?, Is the 0G13 enough to get a good grade (7-8) in IR?, or should I invest more time in the GMAT Prep question bank?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 185 [1] , given: 66

Re: IR: OG13 vs. GMAT Prep questions bank [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
danzig wrote:

Do you have any information whether Harvard, Stanford, or MIT will consider the IR score this year?, will it have an important weight this year?

Thanks!!!

Responding to a PM:
Hi danzig, I don't have any specific information about Harvard, Stanford or MIT with regards to the IR score. I believe that, since it has been almost a year since its introduction, the IR is becoming a more relevant grade for next year's admissions. However, much like the AWA, getting a 7 or an 8 or a 6 on the IR won't really change anything on your admission. If you get a very low score, like a 2 or a 3, then that might be material versus a 7 or 8, much like how the AWA "cut off" is at 4. 4 and above, and it's pretty good, 3.5 or less, and you may be in trouble.

At this point I wouldn't be overly concerned about IR, use it as a good warm up for the rest of the exam, but if you get a 6 on it, don't get depressed wondering about what that means. Unless you get under 5, I wouldn't fret about the score. Students often retake the test to improve their score out of 800, very very rarely will someone contemplate redoing for an unimpressive AWA or IR score.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 498

Kudos [?]: 2042 [0], given: 30

Re: IR: OG13 vs. GMAT Prep questions bank [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 09:06
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
Hi guys,

I have practiced the IR section of the OG13, and I solved the problems very well. Now, I am practicing the IR problems of the question bank of the GMAT Prep, including the question bank they sell on line, and I perceive them much more difficult. :s For example, there are some graphics that I have never used in my life!

The difference in the dificulty level between both sources is big.

Should I worry about that?, Is the 0G13 enough to get a good grade (7-8) in IR?, or should I invest more time in the GMAT Prep question bank?

Thanks!

Dear Danzig,
When you say "the IR section of the OG13", I assume you mean the 50 questions online to which you get access when you buy the hard-copy book, as there are no IR problems in the hard copy of the OG13. Yes, those 50 questions were released as a preview in early 2012, before the IR section was launched --- that's when everyone was waiting, trying to guess: what will this new section be like? I get the sense that those first 50 questions might have been rushed a bit, or at least that they hadn't fully clarified to themselves what their standards would be. I would say questions within GMAT PREP, and anything they sell accompanying that, are more recent, and therefore more accurately reflect their current standards and expectations for the IR questions. Not only do you have to worry about them, but I think they would be more representative of what you will see on the real GMAT.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 16

Re: IR: OG13 vs. GMAT Prep questions bank [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 09:16
Thanks Mike!

Do you have any information whether Harvard, Stanford, or MIT will consider the IR score this year?, will it have an important weight this year?

Thanks!!!
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 498

Kudos [?]: 2042 [0], given: 30

Re: IR: OG13 vs. GMAT Prep questions bank [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 09:40
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
Thanks Mike!
Thanks!!!

I don't have any direct information along these lines, but here's a few links you may find helpful.
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/blog/new ... ir-section
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sta ... 16359.html
I hope these help
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: IR: OG13 vs. GMAT Prep questions bank   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2013, 09:40