Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IR - score and strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

IR - score and strategy [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 08:44
Hi folks!

Please, your help with these two doubts:

1. In the IR section, how different are the scores of the GMATPrep from those of the real GMAT?,

According to some students who have scored 8 in the real GMAT, they didn't answer all the questions, so they had to guess in the last 3-4 questions. Therefore, to get that score, probably they answered correctly from 6 - 9 questions.

However, when I have practiced with the GMATPrep, I answered the 12 questions with 7 answers right and got a 4 in the score. Ok, I didn't expect a 8, but probably a 6 or 7, considering the fact that in the real exam these guys got a 8 with 6 to 9 answers right.

Also, I don't think that probably they answered questions that provided a higher score because, according to an Official GMAC representative in other forum:

"The different questions types are not weighted differently. In other words, table analysis questions, for example are not necessary of a higher or lower difficulty level than any other question type. The IR section does include questions of varying difficulty within the section, and your score is based on how many questions you answer correctly (...) You must be able to answer the higher difficulty questions correctly as well as the lower difficulty questions to perform well on the IR section."
Source: http://www.beatthegmat.com/ir-scoring-s ... 59696.html

So, what do you think?

2. In this sense, I think that my strategy to take that section would be:
- To skip 3 questions, because it's almost impossible to solve the 12 questions.
- Those skipped questions would be of the Multisource Reasoning type (MSR), because they consume too much time and wouldn't provide a higher score. It's better to invest time in 2 graph analysis questions than in one MSR question.

My only concern is that there could be more than 3 MSR questions in the real exam. There I could be in trouble LOL.
Other doubt is whether the section will show a experimental question.

So, what do you think about my strategy?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 66

Re: IR - score and strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi danzig, I can speculate about the IR section but the only things I'm sure of are the issues that the GMAC has made public. For example, you shouldn't worry about more than 3 MSR questions because there are 3 questions of each type (graph interpretation, table analysis, multi-source reasoning and two-part analysis). As for skipping questions, if that makes sense to you because you don't think you have enough time to properly answer all twelve questions, then go for it. I somehow doubt that you can get an 8/8 while skipping 1/4 of the questions, but I guess it's possible.

The important thing to keep in mind with IR is that the score is not nearly as important as the score out of 800. Everyone wants to know your score out of 800, and when someone asks you how you did on the GMAT, you'll never say 7/8 of 5.5/6. Whatever strategy you want to implement is fine, as long as you feel as fresh and ready and possible when the real exam starts one hour in. The AWA and IR should be treated as a warm up to the real deal, so I wouldn't recommend focusing too much on your IR strategy. The questions aren't hard, but they use most of the same concepts that will make you successful on quant and verbal. If you're prepared for the GMAT, your score on the IR section will usually reflect this.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: IR - score and strategy [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 21:31
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
Hi folks!

Please, your help with these two doubts:

1. In the IR section, how different are the scores of the GMATPrep from those of the real GMAT?,

According to some students who have scored 8 in the real GMAT, they didn't answer all the questions, so they had to guess in the last 3-4 questions. Therefore, to get that score, probably they answered correctly from 6 - 9 questions.

However, when I have practiced with the GMATPrep, I answered the 12 questions with 7 answers right and got a 4 in the score. Ok, I didn't expect a 8, but probably a 6 or 7, considering the fact that in the real exam these guys got a 8 with 6 to 9 answers right.

Also, I don't think that probably they answered questions that provided a higher score because, according to an Official GMAC representative in other forum:

"The different questions types are not weighted differently. In other words, table analysis questions, for example are not necessary of a higher or lower difficulty level than any other question type. The IR section does include questions of varying difficulty within the section, and your score is based on how many questions you answer correctly (...) You must be able to answer the higher difficulty questions correctly as well as the lower difficulty questions to perform well on the IR section."
Source: http://www.beatthegmat.com/ir-scoring-s ... 59696.html

So, what do you think?

2. In this sense, I think that my strategy to take that section would be:
- To skip 3 questions, because it's almost impossible to solve the 12 questions.
- Those skipped questions would be of the Multisource Reasoning type (MSR), because they consume too much time and wouldn't provide a higher score. It's better to invest time in 2 graph analysis questions than in one MSR question.

My only concern is that there could be more than 3 MSR questions in the real exam. There I could be in trouble LOL.
Other doubt is whether the section will show a experimental question.

So, what do you think about my strategy?

Thanks!

Skipping is very risky. One thing to realize is that not every question on the IR section counts towards your score; the section does have experimental questions, just like the quant and verbal. However, because there are far fewer questions on the IR section, missing a few can have much higher variance; depending on what questions you happened to skip, your score could swing wildly! Rather than gamble, your best bet is to practice till you get the pacing down. The questions CAN be completed in the allotted time; give it your best effort, maintain a steady pace, and it's manageable.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: IR - score and strategy   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2013, 21:31