Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IR section scoring methodology

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: HBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 22

IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 01:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Can someone help me gain clarity on these :

1. Is IR section adaptive too?

2. Each of the 12 question has many sub questions , so totally its about 25-32 questions. I find that I get atleast one of the sub questions right. So, if I if I look at the total number of sub questions I have answered correctly, it is almost 55-70%, however, even one mistake in these questions leads to the whole question being counted as 'wrong' and my final score barely manages a 3. Have I got this right? If it is true, doesn't it weigh against the students?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3618

Kudos [?]: 28976 [1] , given: 2874

Re: IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chk86 wrote:
Can someone help me gain clarity on these :

1. Is IR section adaptive too?

2. Each of the 12 question has many sub questions , so totally its about 25-32 questions. I find that I get atleast one of the sub questions right. So, if I if I look at the total number of sub questions I have answered correctly, it is almost 55-70%, however, even one mistake in these questions leads to the whole question being counted as 'wrong' and my final score barely manages a 3. Have I got this right? If it is true, doesn't it weigh against the students?

Q: Is the Integrated Reasoning section computer adaptive?
A: No, but it is timed, and pacing is important. You may not skip questions or go back and change your answers once you’ve submitted them.

Q: Some of the Integrated Reasoning questions require multiple responses. Is there partial credit if I get some but not all of the parts correct?
A: You must get all parts of the question correct to receive credit. The questions are designed to measure your Integrated Reasoning skills, and the responses to a single question are interrelated so that answering them all correctly demonstrates your ability to integrate data to solve complex problems. Additionally, the IR score scale has been designed to reward a candidate’s ability to synthesize multiple streams of information and evaluate possible outcomes as opposed to randomly guessing an answer.

From mba.com http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/ans ... tions.aspx

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 04:19
Hi all,
Yesterday I started preparing for the GMAT. The parts - Critical Reasoning and Integratedfit reasoning were the most difficult for me . I am using the software GMATprep and what I observed was that I can not fit in the time, bacause the text are to long for me for that short time. Could you give me any advises how to prepare myself better for these sections?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 25

Re: IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 10:13
Hi vargirova,
Do'nt get panic.First if you are not good in IR of attempting 12Q in 30 min than its better for you to focus on certain question like MSR , Graphical interpretationn, table question and one question oftwo part anylsis. If you are able to complete 8 question correctly than there might be a chance of getting 6 in IR.I hope this is good enough to start and with time try to complete as much question as
you can.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 25

Re: IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 10:14
Hi vargirova,
Do'nt get panic.First if you are not good in IR of attempting 12Q in 30 min than its better for you to focus on certain question like MSR , Graphical interpretationn, table question and one question oftwo part anylsis. If you are able to complete 8 question correctly than there might be a chance of getting 6 in IR.I hope this is good enough to start and with time try to complete as much question as
you can.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 31

Re: IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 07:38
Hi Experts,

Do we have a huge penalty even in IR section if we miss to mark couple of questions, or are they considered wrong?
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 696 [0], given: 6

Re: IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 12:11
Expert's post
kulkarnios wrote:
Hi Experts,

Do we have a huge penalty even in IR section if we miss to mark couple of questions, or are they considered wrong?

That would be considered wrong. You would only get credit for a question if you get all sub-parts of that question correct.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: IR section scoring methodology [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 01:37
Does IR score carry any weight age in admissions ?
Re: IR section scoring methodology   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 01:37