Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [19]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [3]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Iron ore mines in Triberia have demonstrated that upgraded [#permalink]
@Elegan-you are the first member to give me a Kudo and started my scoring. : ) .
For bringing smile and making my day, would revert with the same gesture. +1 Kudo to you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
C just repeats the passage.
E is correct. The key issue here is "product output" and "product output per mine"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
elegan wrote:
Iron ore mines in Triberia have demonstrated that upgraded technology can result in large increases in productivity level. In a country where no new iron ore mines have been opened, Triberia's iron ore output per miner has doubled during the last 5 years.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about iron ore output per miner in the passage?

(A) If any new iron ore mines had opened in Triberia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

(B) In Triberia the cost of producing a given quantity of iron ore has declined over the past five years.

(C) Any individual Triberian iron ore mine that achieved an increase in overall output in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.

(D) If any individual Triberian iron ore mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

(E) If the number of miners working in Triberia iron ore mines has remained constant in the past five years, Triberia's total iron ore production has doubled in that period of time.

The question requires us to draw a conclusion from the information in the passage.

The passage gives us two pieces of information:
- Iron ore mines in Triberia have demonstrated that upgraded technology can result in large increases in productivity level.
-In a country where no new iron ore mines have been opened, Triberia's iron ore output per miner has doubled during the last 5 years.

The passage gives us information about upgraded technology resulting in large increases in productivity level based upon the iron ore mines in Triberia. However, this information is about already existent mines in Triberia. We do not have enough information to draw a conclusion about new mines. There may be other factors that affect the productivity in a new mine. Since the passage does not provide enough information to draw this conclusion, Option A can be eliminated.

The passage does not mention cost. It does state that upgraded technology can increase productivity levels, but this is not enough for us to draw a conclusion about cost. So, Option B can be eliminated.

There is no correlation established in the passage between overall output and the increase in output per miner. So, Option C can be eliminated.

The passage only gives information about the increase in output per miner; there is no information about output per mine. So, we do not have enough information to draw a conclusion about individual mines. Therefore, Option D can be eliminated.

The passage states that new mines have not been opened but Triberia’s iron ore output per miner has doubled in the last 5 years. This is enough information for us to draw the conclusion that if the number of miners working in the mines has remained constant, the total iron ore production of the country has doubled in that period of time.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts