Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

is 33 upon graduation too old for Corporate Finance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

is 33 upon graduation too old for Corporate Finance? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:51
So, I've been waitlisted on 4 schools (Yale, Kellogg, Michigan and Cornell). This last one is w/o interview.
And I was admitted at IESE

I'm making great efforts to be admitted off the WL's, but if things go bad, I might try once again.
I already have 30, so if I decide to reapply next year, I'll be 33 upon graduation.

My main objective is corporate finance, and some people on this industry say that I won’t be too old to make this change. I could be biased by a small sample (what other potential recruiters might think?)
My question is: what adcom will think? Will next year my project of doing an MBA still be feasible?

PS: in my current applications, I said I wanted to do IB, so that could be the issue on those schools.

More details on my profile:
Origin: Latin America.
Scores: GMAT 680 / TOEFL 101
Project leaderships: yes
Formal people management: no
Education: engineer with MS in Finance (both local top schools, no GPA but good grades)

Thanks!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: is 33 upon graduation too old for Corporate Finance? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 16:11
Believe it or not, the ability of a school to fulfill your career goals has a lot to do with admissions. If your goal is to work in corporate finance for one of the bulge bracket firms, then 33 is too old to get started. These firms generally recruit students who are 28 or younger. However, there are more than one way to achieve your goal -- one is to work in corporate finance (for a corporation) and then transition to banking after a few years of experience. In many cases, the experience you get working for a large corporation is more valuable as you have to live with your decisions. Also, you can work for a smaller boutique firm- however, these firms do not recruit on most campuses so the efforts to find a job would fall mostly upon you.

If you are not successful this year, I recommend tailoring your career goals a bit to make your future placement easier to see. I would also recommend re-taking the TOEFL, as 101 is on the lower side of scores that I have seen admitted this year.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: is 33 upon graduation too old for Corporate Finance?   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2013, 16:11