Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is 47 quant enough?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is 47 quant enough? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 20:38
Guys, desperately need your advice on whether I should retake the test.
I just ended up with 710 (47;38). Q47 is 78%.
I am planning to apply to relatively quantitative programs such as Master in Finance/Financial economics. As far as I know they pay special attention to percentile of quant scores and in one of my preferred schools the expected percentile is 90%. By the way, I asked adcom whether my score is sufficient and they replied that if I can get closer to 90% that might increase my chances for the interview, however this is not their requirement.
Should I left it as it is and concentrate on other parts of my application or should I retake the test. The application process is already started so I dont have much time for preparation.
I believe that I can shoot for Q49 (87%) which is close to 90%, but my verbal score will remain in the same range of +/- 1. So, I foresee that my total score will not change dramatically and will not jump to 760/770 which would be expected after retaking from 710. Probably I will end up with total scores of 730 max. Does it worth time and efforts?
Just to evaluate my chances with current scores here is my profile:
Female, 24 years
from Kazakhstan
Major: Economics from leading local university (GPA 3.96)
Experience: 3 years in corporate finance and valuation in Big4.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is 47 quant enough? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 21:52
For a Masters in Finance at Princeton you need about 50. Not sure about the other programs - Princeton is probably the most selective of the lot. Verbal score of 38 should be fine for most programs.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is 47 quant enough? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 22:02
bsd_lover wrote:
For a Masters in Finance at Princeton you need about 50. Not sure about the other programs - Princeton is probably the most selective of the lot. Verbal score of 38 should be fine for most programs.

I think BSD is correct. Q50 is very helpful for "MS in Finance at Princeton", which is probably the best in the category.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Is 47 quant enough? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 15:48
I spoke with recruiters from Vandy, Washington St. Louis, BC, Tulane, etc last week at a local event. In general, they look for quant scores over the 80 percentile. However, your GMAT score might be strong enough.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Is 47 quant enough? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 10:17
Your probably set for Vandy/villanova.

But for a school like Princeton, you will not have a shot with that low of a verbal. Just look at their most recent class, they're a group of math/engineering PHD's
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is 47 quant enough? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 19:32
Hi MFINDreamer,

Can u help me in deciding the schools to which I should apply to for Masters in Finance. I am looking at US and UK schools. Here are my details:
Indian CItizen
GMAT: 720 (Q49, V39)
Work Exp: 3.5 years (1.5 years od International(US) exp)
Most of the exp is in IT working as a Business Analyst and the current exp i.e. around 6 months is with a Big US based Bank in India and they are into capital financing.

Will really appreciate ur help.

Thanks
Grv
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Is 47 quant enough? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 14:06
Glad to help.

GMAT and work experience checks out at pretty much every program, although quant could be a bit higher. Work Experience looks good as well. I can't really give you specific programs unless I knew your academic background: quality of undergrad, gpa, concentration, etc. Also, what are your references like and what is your timeline to apply. I ask because if you are reaching for a top school you need to apply soon.

US
I would stay away from MIT, still too new and not worth the cost.
I would also stay away from anything the the Southeastern US besides Vanderbilt.
Boston College could be a very good fit for you, as could Rochester, but I would need to know more about your profile.
Purdue, Villanova, and WashU are also good choices, again, depending on academic background.

Elsewhere
Obviously Oxbridge, and LSE. Warwick also has a good program as does UCL. I could not recommend you specific programs without knowing your career aspirations first.
I would also apply to SDA Boccini (sp?) and IE. Both are better regionally, but place in London as well.

Hope that helps, I know it is a lot, could narrow it down with more personal info.

PM me if you do not wish to post this info.
Re: Is 47 quant enough?   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2009, 14:06