Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 15:04

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is 560- 650 possible in 1 month??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is 560- 650 possible in 1 month?? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 14:38
Hi All,
Happy new year all! I am taking the GMAT in approx. 1 month and wanted to know what the best strategy is for attaining a 640-650 score. My last score was about 1 year ago and was 560. Is this possible? What materials are recommended? Your help is greatly appreciated…
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 15:30
Absolutely possible, given that you devote enough time to preparation and develop a thought-out prep plan.

Get an Official Guide and make a quick fresh-up on base concepts for all questions. Then download GMATprep, take a practice test; analyze your correct/incorrect responses to identify problem types you're weak on. Pay attention to your timing as well. This information will help you to build a plan for your preparation.

Overall, don't panic but take it seriously. One two-hour session each Saturday will NOT push you to 650. You need to concentrate and work hard.

Dismissed! :lol:
Intern
Intern

Thanks for your reply! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 16:03
Thanks a bunch , Braindancer....!
I plan to devote serious time to this ...seems like my issue is timing...Would you suggest i master (timed) easy/moderate problems first in OG before proceeding to more difficult ones? Or should i try to grasp the how and why of moderate/difficult and work backwards...

Would you say this amount of time is sufficient?
weekdays - 2hr of one question type
sat.- full length CAT and review answers
sun.- full length CAT and review answers

Cheers!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

same prob! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 11:05
hey mitch, i had the same dilemma. i was near nyc so i had a lot of options about how to best prepare quickly. i didn't end up doing it, but check out manhattan review's weekend crash courses. one of my girlies took their class out in london and loved it. obviously i'd rather have months to get ready, but if you gotta get it done quick, they apparently do a nice job of covering the bases. she was more pleased with her math preparation from their crash course, but said that they got teh job done with verbal also. good luck. i know i'll need it!
Intern
Intern

OG vs Kaplan 800?? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 08:40
Hello everyone...I wanted to thank everyone for the support so far...I had a quick question:

If I am aiming for a 640-660 range from a 560 a year ago, what would the best prep guide be? I have OG, but I heard Kaplan 800 is a great tool. However, I also heard that the problems are very difficult which is fine but I want to be realistic as far as my target score and time constraint. (1month). Any advice would be a tremendous help!

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 09:32
its very possible you just have to dedicate the time to study. Lets face it the key is to determine your weakness and improve upon it. Thanks
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: OG vs Kaplan 800?? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 20:01
mitch25 wrote:
Hello everyone...I wanted to thank everyone for the support so far...I had a quick question:

If I am aiming for a 640-660 range from a 560 a year ago, what would the best prep guide be? I have OG, but I heard Kaplan 800 is a great tool. However, I also heard that the problems are very difficult which is fine but I want to be realistic as far as my target score and time constraint. (1month). Any advice would be a tremendous help!

Cheers,

I went from a 500 to a 640 in six weeks just focusing on GMATPrep, retire ETS paper tests, MGMAT, McGraw Hill, and the OG. It was by far one of the toughest six weeks of my life (aside from preparing for the Japanese Level 1 exam) but the practice did boost my confidence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

Re: Thanks for your reply! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 21:58
mitch25 wrote:

Would you say this amount of time is sufficient?
weekdays - 2hr of one question type
sat.- full length CAT and review answers
sun.- full length CAT and review answers

Cheers!!

that's definitely enough time. I did that and got a 650.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 14:27
as far as taking a full CAT on both weekend days I've found that doing sections at a time is really effective...rather than jumping into full tests, building up your test taking stamina by doing sections at a time is a fulfilling strategy.
  [#permalink] 12 Feb 2007, 14:27