Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

----

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 02:33
I also want to apply for the LSE. There you probably have a disadvantage with your score. Maastricht University, I study there and I guess that you get accepted with 680.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

I am also applying to the same program except for HEC.
Here is the average acceptation for the master program that I got through my research :

1) LSE - around 700/730
3) Stockholm School of Economics in : 690
4) HEC Paris - around 700/720

Where do you come from ?
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 12:12
Expert's post
Assuming that the rest of your profile is good, then a 680 is probably enough for HEC and SSE. But also consider expanding your list of schools. Oxford, for example, has an MFE program, while IE has a MSc in Finance.

For LSE, the competition is hell and acceptance depends on much more than a GMAT score. That could be said, of course, for any program. But my 730 GMAT score, high GPA, and international exposure certainly wasn't enough. On the other hand, I read on these forums about someone who was accepted with a 660 (along with good recommendations and an internship). At this point, my advice to you is (1) get the best recommendations possible, and (2) answer the essay question perfectly. You need to make your application a work of art.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 12:20
I think your 680 is already a great score and will help you get into many schools in Europe. From the schools you listed, I have only done some research on Warwick and LSE, as I would like to apply to those finance programmes as well.

- In the case of Warwick, your score seems be the minimum they expect, that means that it won't really strengthen your application, it will just be neutral.
- For LSE, a 680 score is low. This doesn't mean you shouldn't apply with a 680... but it will require other parts of your application to be above the average.

That said, I would re-take the GMAT if I was in your place. For all those schools that have a defined deadline, applying at the end of January or end of February won't make a huge difference. The case, however, would be different for schools that operate on a rolling admissions basis....

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE- ESCP - Warwick

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 7

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
I just saw this post and wanted to react shortly.

You GMAT score is a good score, unless your really want to enter at LSE I wouldn't retake de test but focus on other area of the application. I also heard they are full.

For Maatrischt 680 is more than enough, I don't know for finance but for some master (business, mangement and other) they ask for a 500 or maybe 550. To be honnest I live in Belgium and know a lot of people studyng there, but with your potential I would aim higher.

I have a friend of mine who has been accepted with a 640, average academic record, but 2 summer internships in investment banking.

Get into a master program is not tough as an MBA and it this even more so for european (non UK, US) school. Don't forget those school want to have tuition fees and there are not so many people seeking for master degrees with high GMAT scores. Most of the people that want to study a master are young graduated (about 21-23 years) (bachelors), so GMAT score tend to be lower... I think; it is a really different profile.

I know for example other very good european business school that accept people with low GMAT where sometimes no GMAT but just an entrance exam (where they don't give you the score because they appreciate the results by their own).

eg: Vlerick School of Management 550

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 13:19
I have a friend of mine who has been accepted with a 640 AT WARWICK, average academic record, but 2 summer internships in investment banking
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 16:30
680 should be enough for SSE. Not a lot of people in Sweden do the GMAT, and I've heard from friends that people got in to the other specializations with 5-600.

However, you should note that the application deadline was 15 jan. 28 feb is the deadline for sending them your GMAT score.

In general, SSE is a really good school with tight connection to major players in the financial industry, both in Sweden and London. Lot of people go straight from BSc in finance to top banks in London.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 01:52
Does anyone know whether passing CFA level 1 exam help in MSc Finance admission? If yes then how much?
Intern
Intern

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 10:53
For the Msc-Finance I am applying for, it is wether GMAT or CFA level 1. As I have no financial knowledge at all, neither strong quant knowledge I choosed the GMAT.

So I guess if you have a good GMAT and CFA you should be a very good candidate. I heard it is a non standardize test average required time of study 180h, 60% failure.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 12:13
Do you guys know if it is necessary to submit the AWA as well to the b-schools mentioned.

And are you sure that 680 for HEC is enough? I did an internship with BCG as a consultant, is that considered as a good internship?

MGMAT 1 - 580 - Q36 V33
MGMAT 2 - 650 - Q44 V35
GMAT 1 - 690 - Q48 V38
MGMAT 3 - 680 - Q47 V36
MGMAT 4 - 690 - Q44 V39
GMAT 2 - 700 - Q48 V37

Intern
Intern

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 12:24
BCG yes it is one of the top consulting firm! Awa is automatically sent with your scores. I just know that with a 700 you will be directly accepted at hec.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 12:35
Duke007 wrote:
BCG yes it is one of the top consulting firm! Awa is automatically sent with your scores. I just know that with a 700 you will be directly accepted at hec.

Sorry I was not clear enough. Is it necessary to do the AWA for the european b-schools? Otherwise I'd just skip the AWA and concentrate directly on quant and verbal.

MGMAT 1 - 580 - Q36 V33
MGMAT 2 - 650 - Q44 V35
GMAT 1 - 690 - Q48 V38
MGMAT 3 - 680 - Q47 V36
MGMAT 4 - 690 - Q44 V39
GMAT 2 - 700 - Q48 V37

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 14:51
If you have applied for SSE you will have a good shot at acceptance with a 680 score.
I have friends at CBS who got accepted at CBS most popular MSc Finance programme with just good grades, >3 GPA or so.

For the record, I'm going for SSE and CBS as well, with SSE as my 1st priority. :-)

When is the last date for applying to HEC and LSE?

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Intern
Intern

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 16:02
Sorry it is confusing because 2 people ara talking about 680 scores. Actually if you are in a rush of time to prepare for the gmat your chance to get a top score are thin!

AWA will take 2 days of preparation to get a somewhat decent score 3-5. So what is 2 days compared to several month of prep (at would say min 2 month for a topscore)

So it would be stupid to see a AWA 0 next to a top score. Otherwise if you have a toefl or ielts b school won t look that much at it.

Ps; I heard lse is already closed for this year. Can anyone confirm?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 17:40
Duke007 wrote:

Direct acceptance at HEC with a 700... is this correct? Where did you see this information?
Intern
Intern

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 16:44
Hi,

In case some might me interested, I just got accepted to the MSc in Finance programme at LSE.

My profile is as follows:

Nationality: Norwegian
GMAT: 720, 6 AWA
GPA: 3,688 (A Norwegian GPA of 3, or "B", is by LSE considered equal to an american GPA of 3,5)
WE: None what so ever.
References: At most average; we neither rank student nor have a close relationship with our professors.

The average GMAT score of the MSc in Finance students last year was around 690, so 680 should not be THAT big of a long shot.

I do believe the references are are very important. I have heard (from former alumni) that it is important for LSE to know that you are a top student from a top institution in your home country.

Also, your grades are VERY important. You should check LSE's website in regards of how they rate your country's grade scale.

I am curious about where you are from, as you are applying for the same programmes as I did. Are you scandinavian? :)

Good luck with your applications.

Cheers
Intern
Intern

Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 16:54
And BTW,

Most of the LSE programmes are NOT closed yet, so the comment about LSE being closed is invalid :)
Re: is 680 enough for a MSc in Finance in a gdEuropean business   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2011, 16:54

----

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap