Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is |a| > |b|?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Is |a| > |b|? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 17:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:14) correct 55% (00:54) wrong based on 185 sessions
Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < -a
(2) a < 0
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 903 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: absolute values [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 00:19
I used substitution;

Q: Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < -a

b+a < 0
This equation will hold true for ;
1. a: +ve; b: -ve
2. a: -ve; b: -ve
3. a: -ve; b:+ve

Substitution;
case: I
"a" can be a very big -ve number and "b", a very small positive
a=-100
b=+5
Thus; |a|>|b|. Answer to the Q: TRUE

Converse can also be true;
case II.
"a" can be a very small +ve number and "b", a very big negative
a=+5
b=-100
Thus; |a|<|b|. Answer to the Q: FALSE

Ideally, we have proven that the statement is NOT SUFFICIENT. But, we'll see other two cases as well

case III:
"a" can be a very small -ve number and "b", a very big negative
a=-5
b=-100
Thus; |a|<|b|. Answer to the Q: FALSE

case IV:
"a" can be a very big -ve number and "b", a very small negative
a=-100
b=-5
Thus; |a|>|b|. Answer to the Q: TRUE

(2) a < 0
a: -ve

Doesn't tell us anything about b;
b can be a bigger positive or bigger negative.
Not sufficient.

Combining both the statements;
a: +ve; b: -ve --- We can count this one out as a=-ve

a: -ve; b: -ve. Here b can be a bigger negative OR b can be a smaller negative both will have opposite results. NOT SUFFICIENT.

Already proven that combining both is NOT SUFFICIENT.

a: -ve; b:+ve; "a" can be a small negative and "b", a very big postive OR "a" can be a big negative and b, a very small postive. NOT SUFFICIENT.

Ans : "E"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: absolute values [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 07:22
Hi..

Im having trouble understanding the first statement.
if b< -a , then you cant have that a is grater then b?

you haven have a 5 for b, and a has to be negative? or is it that you can enter a negative A and with the negative in the statement it changes it to a positive??

5<- (-10)

we would get
5<10 and that is true... for the statemnte

and the same thing can go for
-5<-(-1)
you would get
-5<1 and that is true for statement one but contradicts the above and you can go take of A and D , and statement two is wrong that is why you get at E...

I seem to be a bit mixed up... can anyone help?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3412

Kudos [?]: 24952 [1] , given: 2698

Re: absolute values [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ajit257 wrote:
Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < -a

(2) a < 0

just not getting absolutes. Please can some one help in understanding this topic better.

This question can be very easily solved with number line approach.

Is |a| > |b|?

If we rephrase the question we'll get: on the number line does point a lie further from zero than point b? Note that we are not interested in the signs of a and b.

(1) b < -a --> b+a<0, the sum of two numbers is less than zero. Now, if both numbers are negative (to the left of zero) than their sum will obviously be less than zero, and any from these two could be further from zero, thus this statement is not sufficient.

(2) a < 0. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Example from (1) is still valid (we considered a<0 in it, so 2 is satisfied), thus even taken together statements are not sufficient.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is |a| > |b|? (1) b < -a (2) a < 0 just not getting [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 11:51
ajit257 wrote:
Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < -a

(2) a < 0

just not getting absolutes. Please can some one help in understanding this topic better.

+1 E

This problem requires to pick numbers.

Stmnt (1): b < -a ------ > b + a < 0
Picking numbers:
a = -1 , b = - 3 ---> -3-1< 0 ----> |b| > |a|
a = -3 , b = - 1 ---> -1-3< 0 ----> |a| > |b|
INSUFF

Stmnt (2): a < 0
There is not information about b.
INSUFF

Combining (1) and (2): We use the same examples in (1).
INSUFF

ANSWER: E

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 105

Re: Is |a| > |b|? (1) b < -a (2) a < 0 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 01:20
Bunuel,
This is a very silly question. Kindly pardon me, when i approached this Q i chose (A)
b < -a is the same as -a > b which means lal > lbl right ?

And another doubt, when do u substitute values for Inequalities / Solve the inequality / use the number line. I am very naive in using the number line so .. kindly mention when to use which approach.

Thanks
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 24952 [0], given: 2698

Re: Is |a| > |b|? (1) b < -a (2) a < 0 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 03:11
Expert's post
thinktank wrote:
Bunuel,
This is a very silly question. Kindly pardon me, when i approached this Q i chose (A)

And another doubt, when do u substitute values for Inequalities / Solve the inequality / use the number line. I am very naive in using the number line so .. kindly mention when to use which approach.

Thanks

Yes, -a > b is the same as b < -a, but it does NOT mean that |a| > |b|. Consider: a=-1 and b=-2 --> -a=1>-2=b but |a|=1<2=|b|.

As for your other question: it really depends on the particular problem at hand and personal preferences to choose which approach to take.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Is |a| > |b|? (1) b < -a (2) a < 0 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 21:55
Bunuel wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Bunuel,

Thanks

Yes, -a > b is the same as b < -a, but it does NOT mean that |a| > |b|. Consider: a=-1 and b=-2 --> -a=1>-2=b but |a|=1<2=|b|.

As for your other question: it really depends on the particular problem at hand and personal preferences to choose which approach to take.

@Bunuel

I have this doubt:

b<-a...let say a= -3 and b=-5, (as given b<-a..it means b is also negative.). so mod of b> mod of a...hence A is suff. ?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Is |a| > |b|? (1) b < -a (2) a < 0 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 00:26
Expert's post
sunshinewhole wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Bunuel,

Thanks

@Bunuel

I have this doubt:

b<-a...let say a= -3 and b=-5, (as given b<-a..it means b is also negative.). so mod of b> mod of a...hence A is suff. ?

One example is NOT enough to say that a statement is sufficient.

Consider a=-5 and b=-3, to get the different answer.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 50

DS inequality [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:33
Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < - a

(2) a < 0

I solved this one with plugin, is there a easy wasy out?

Correct me If I'm wrong !! looking for valuable inputs

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: DS inequality [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:39
Expert's post
Manhnip wrote:
Is |a| > |b|?

(1) b < - a

(2) a < 0

I solved this one with plugin, is there a easy wasy out?

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

Also, please read the rule #3 here: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 186

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is |a| > |b|? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 11:44
This question can be solved best on number line.
Is |a| > |b|? a and b can take any sign.
(1) b < -a
If a is positive -----------0---------a------- -=> b<-(a) --(b)-<--(-a)-----0-----a------ |b|>|a| Sufficient to say NO.
If a is negative ---(-a)------0----------- -=> b<-(-a) => b<a --b----(-a)----b-----0---b----a------- b can be anywhere less than a. Not Sufficient to tell distance of b from origin compared to a, thus Option 1 Insufficient.

(2) a < 0 Clearly insufficient as we do not know anything about position of b.

Option 1 and 2 together,
a is negative ---(-a)------0----------- -=> b<-(-a) => b<a --b----(-a)----b-----0---b----a------- b can be anywhere less than a. can not tell position of b comparative to a. Insufficient.

Ans E.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Is |a| > |b|?   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2013, 11:44