Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is a M Fin the right choice and what are my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 76320

Is a M Fin the right choice and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 09:38
Hi all,

Thanks for the great forum. It is a really helpful community and there is a great collection of resources available for everyone.

I'd start by providing a bit of background info - I have been trying to break into the asset management industry (specifically, equities, be it public or private) but have not had much luck with interviews so far, even with boutiques (they are mainly the ones I have tried actually, as it is pretty much a career switch given my profile). I had initially intended to take an MBA, but realised that I can hardly afford 2 years of MBA in a top school, nor do I have any distinguishing leadership experience to qualify, whether now or maybe even in the future, considering my current career path. A Masters in Finance is only one year long and seems like the best option available before I get stuck doing Product Control for the rest of my life.

So, finally, the questions for the collective mind:

One, do you think I am making the right decision to take a postgrad for this purpose? Although it is only a one-year course, it is still a substantial investment and I will be in debt for quite a while.

Second, I was hoping to seek some advice on my chances to admit to a Masters in Finance in the following schools (in descending order of preference):

LBS
Oxford
LSE
Cambridge
Warwick
Vanderbilt
(or any other recommendations?)

Profile:
27 years old
2:1 Honours in Accountancy (GPA of 4.3/5)
2.5 years Big 4 audit experience covering mainly financial services clients
1 year accounting/control experience in a bank
Passed CFA Level 1
South East Asian (I speak both English and Mandarin)
GMAT not taken but I believe I will probably get 700, maybe more.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is a M Fin the right choice and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
You have a good profile for a MiF program. MiF can take you to the asset management roles. Take CFA Level 2 if you want to improve your chances. Your low level of work experience (just 2.5 yrs) might be working against you for LBS. You have to convince the adcom that your experience was strong during this period.

Which is better - MBA or MiF? Difficult question. If I have to take example from yourlist, I think in the long term, MBA from LBS will beat MiF at LBS. MBA will give your more skills for a longer term career. Good luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Get Ready For The Interview
MBA | Finance | Consulting

vastskies wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the great forum. It is a really helpful community and there is a great collection of resources available for everyone.

I'd start by providing a bit of background info - I have been trying to break into the asset management industry (specifically, equities, be it public or private) but have not had much luck with interviews so far, even with boutiques (they are mainly the ones I have tried actually, as it is pretty much a career switch given my profile). I had initially intended to take an MBA, but realised that I can hardly afford 2 years of MBA in a top school, nor do I have any distinguishing leadership experience to qualify, whether now or maybe even in the future, considering my current career path. A Masters in Finance is only one year long and seems like the best option available before I get stuck doing Product Control for the rest of my life.

So, finally, the questions for the collective mind:

One, do you think I am making the right decision to take a postgrad for this purpose? Although it is only a one-year course, it is still a substantial investment and I will be in debt for quite a while.

Second, I was hoping to seek some advice on my chances to admit to a Masters in Finance in the following schools (in descending order of preference):

LBS
Oxford
LSE
Cambridge
Warwick
Vanderbilt
(or any other recommendations?)

Profile:
27 years old
2:1 Honours in Accountancy (GPA of 4.3/5)
2.5 years Big 4 audit experience covering mainly financial services clients
1 year accounting/control experience in a bank
Passed CFA Level 1
South East Asian (I speak both English and Mandarin)
GMAT not taken but I believe I will probably get 700, maybe more.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is a M Fin the right choice and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
Vandy is the odd ball. Assuming you will need sponsorship, you might want to focus on LSE, LBS and Oxford/Cambridge. Oxbridge will give you the best brand IMO. LSE has a multitude of MSc programs, all recruit well. Some are harder to get into than others so pick the one you like or the easiest one to get into, your choice.

Vandy is a great choice for the states. Just be prepared to cast a wide net if you are a foreign student. Financial services is a tough nut to crack in this economy and sponsorship is an added cost for companies. Not saying it cannot be done, just saying hedge your bets.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is a M Fin the right choice and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 02:22
Hello everyone........

first let me giv u a breif details about my profile....

i am a computer science engineering graduate (from india) with avg % 70. i am having five years work exp in a public sector...

i want to join a MFin program....my question is "Is my work exp will be counted!!!! and i should look out for the post experience colleges or i will be counted for pre-experience master's program? "...
pls let me know the college names in which i should apply for....be it pre experience or post experience.....
i am interested in all the colleges be it in UK, US, EUROPE OR anywhere else...
Re: Is a M Fin the right choice and what are my chances?   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2012, 02:22