Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is a security clearance unique?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Is a security clearance unique? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 09:32
I'm currently under process for a high-level security clearance and wonder if this can be viewed as "unique" for work experience. Unfortunately, I turned down offers from big, private companies coming out of college because I wanted to get the clearance.

Is staying with a small government contractor going to hurt me when I could have been working for companies such as IBM or Microsoft? The clearance process has been going for over a year (I worked part-time for them in college) and will definitely be done by the time I apply for schools in a year.

My ultimate goal is to move into management consulting. It would be nice if I could use the clearance in that role, such as Booz Allen Hamilton with their government consulting practice.

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is a security clearance unique? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2006, 15:56
jsnooky33 wrote:
I'm currently under process for a high-level security clearance and wonder if this can be viewed as "unique" for work experience. Unfortunately, I turned down offers from big, private companies coming out of college because I wanted to get the clearance.

Is staying with a small government contractor going to hurt me when I could have been working for companies such as IBM or Microsoft? The clearance process has been going for over a year (I worked part-time for them in college) and will definitely be done by the time I apply for schools in a year.

My ultimate goal is to move into management consulting. It would be nice if I could use the clearance in that role, such as Booz Allen Hamilton with their government consulting practice.

Thanks.

jsnooky33,

Having clearance is a uniqueness factor, that is, an asset in that it sets you apart a bit, but not in a big way. Make the most of it by giving them interesting stories about it.

It's not a negative to have chosen your company rather than Microsoft because the schools won't know you made that decision and will be open-minded about the value of the route you did choose. Show them it has been valuable for you by highlighting your leadership and impact. I do think you can maximize the value of your current clearance job by connecting it to your post-MBA goals in the way you described. Good plan.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2006, 08:54
Thanks for the reply!

By the way, as a message to anyone in this situation, it will take a lot of work to make sure your clearance doesn't relapse. When I talked to a certain agency about school, they said the only option is part-time. However, they agreed if you can find a company that is willing to put you part-time on a project you could theoretically go to school full-time. Talk to your security advisor because depending upon your clearance level you may have different options.

I worked through college and want to do my MBA full-time, if anything to enjoy the experience more!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 16:56
jsnooky33 wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

By the way, as a message to anyone in this situation, it will take a lot of work to make sure your clearance doesn't relapse. When I talked to a certain agency about school, they said the only option is part-time. However, they agreed if you can find a company that is willing to put you part-time on a project you could theoretically go to school full-time. Talk to your security advisor because depending upon your clearance level you may have different options.

I worked through college and want to do my MBA full-time, if anything to enjoy the experience more!

jssnooky33,

Thanks for the additional insights.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter