Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 16:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 09:49
Hi guys!

First of all: Congrats, great forum!!

I'll begin with introducing myself:
I'm a Dutch undergraduate (University of applied science) with a bachelor in Architecture. Usually Dutch universities don't demand a GMAT score, but since I haven't got a bachelor in Economics or Business Administration I have to do the GMAT test.

The target is >550.

I haven't done any prep test yet, but I looked at a couple of questions and I'm afraid I don't achieve a score higher than 350 - 400. I'm using this forum to gain more info about the test and make a study plan... I'm actually not that bad in math, but I'm not used to the way the questions are asked.

But is it actually doable to go from (worst case scenario) 350 to 550+ in 3 months time?

Thanks in advance!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 66

Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 10:25
Bezerker1986 wrote:
But is it actually doable to go from (worst case scenario) 350 to 550+ in 3 months time?

The answer is - YES 8-)

In fact, 3 months is a lot of time ;)

There are a lot of inspiring stories in the "Share Your GMAT Experience" forum! Don't worry, there are plenty of people here who will be glad to help you!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Current Student
Schools: MSU Broad $
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 12:51
Yeah man you can improve a lot, especially from where you are at the vey beginning. Get a book, go through it, and take soem practice tests. The math is a lot different than what you are probably used to. I also think it's a good idea to go ahead and assume you are going to take the test twice. That will ease your anxiety for the first test, and really once you have been through it you can find out from the actual test which areas you really need to improve on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 14:32
The short answer to your question - yes, 3 months is more than enough for 550-600.
Long answer - it depends on how much effort you put it on a daily basis. go through this forum for study tips/plans and make one for yourself. most likely, you will be able to do much better than 550 in 3 months. many people even get to 700 in 3 months from a 450-500 level.

get yourself some prep books. use this as a reference : best-gmat-books-77703.html
after a few weeks of study, take a practice test and you will see that your score has improved(if not, then may be your study strategy is the problem).

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 16:47
I think giving a prep test at this point is a must, or you could spend a week going thru the basic question types so that prep test doesn't catch you unawares; then give the test to get a general idea where you are, who knows you already get a 600+, then make a study plan, be practical about how many hrs you will spend daily and lay out a schedule.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9946 [0], given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 17:37
Expert's post
Yes, you really need to get the diagnostic taken.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 19:49
Yup, 3 months is a long time. If you study the right way, I'm sure you can get a lot more than 550.

Just don't worry too much make studying a fun experience.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 05:24
Hmm total score of 380, kind of expected this...
Computer crashed after seeing the total score, so the raw score was deleted in the program.

I have to put a lot of time and effort in the next 10 weeks to go from this to my target, which is 600+ !

I had especially difficulty with the following areas:
Q:
Data suffinciency

V:
Reading comprehension

Since I've scored 380 it's best to review the whole theory I suppose!
Is it necessery to know the exact raw scores in order to make a study plan? In that case, I will take the test again tomorrow. Otherwise I can start making a raw schedule and post it on the forum.

Btw, I already ordered these books last thursday before I found out about this forum:
- Cracking the GMAT 2011
- Kaplan Premier with CD

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I'm really glad I found this forum... It gives a lot of confidence!

Last edited by Bezerker1986 on 28 Feb 2011, 06:43, edited 6 times in total.
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 66

Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 05:38
Hey you forgot to mention the areas you're having trouble with! Please Edit your post ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 06:06
If you do not have the raw scores then that's fine because 380 is definitely a score that needs polishing in the Quant as well as Verbal part regardless of individual scores. So go ahead and make your study plan. you could take a test after about 3-4 weeks of study.

I think Cracking the GMAT is a very preliminary book. Since you've already ordered the books, you shoould go through this book once it arrives. It gives an overall idea about the topics tested on the GMAT, but that's it and this book does not go further. You would need some solid study guides. I would recommend the MGMAT books. I think even the Veritas guides are good(costlier option). If you are tight on a budget, then just go with the MGMAT number properties book and Sentence correction book. I did not recommend that MGMAT word translations guide becaise I , personally, did not find it much useful. Ofcourse, it is a decent book for probability, combinatorics, word problems etc. I'm not sure how you are in other quant areas like Inequalities, probability, work-rate problems etc. Depending on how you progress, you could order other MGMAT books later into your study.

Data sufficiency generally involves some strategy as well as Math concepts. overall, you will need to polish ytour math. RC is little hard to improve, but not impossible. I went from getting all wrong in RC to all correct or 1-2 wrong :-D . I just used the OG for this. For practice, you can also consider buying RC 99 later. Also, the MGMAT RC book does a decent job(not a great book). If you are particularly interested in an RC book then this would be a good choice.....

Hope thAat helped....good luck
Re: Is achieving a GMAT score of 550+ doable in 3 monhts?   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2011, 06:06