Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 10:06
Hi,

I took GMAT last year and scored 730. Verbal - 41/92%, Quant - 49/87%, Total 730/96%, Analytical writing 5.0/56%. I did not (could not) apply anywhere for 2010 because of some financial responsibilities. I am planning to apply for 2011 session. My brief profile is as follows:
Ethnicity: Indian
Undergrad - from one of the IITs in India, GPA 3.7
Grad - one of schools (not high ranked) in U.S., GPA - 3.95
Work experience - I have been working in U.S. since 2005 (I will have 6 years of full time work ex at the end of 2010). I work in high end technical consulting. 2 years in a big five company, past 3 years in a blue chip company.

As I mentioned, I am planning to apply for 2011 session. I will be 30 in Feb 2011. I have a couple of questions:

1. Would I have had a much better chance had I scored 750 instead of 730? I am asking this question because I screwed up the exam a little bit. I have mild ADD and I forgot to hit 'submit' on the last Quant question. I think I made a couple of other stupid mistakes on Quant and could have easily got 750.

2. Is my age going to be a hindrance when applying to top 5 schools - specially Harvard, Stanford and Wharton? If yes, are there any schools in top 10 that are friendlier to applicants with 30 years of age?

Thanks,

Abhi
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 06:42
abhishekit wrote:
Hi,

I took GMAT last year and scored 730. Verbal - 41/92%, Quant - 49/87%, Total 730/96%, Analytical writing 5.0/56%. I did not (could not) apply anywhere for 2010 because of some financial responsibilities. I am planning to apply for 2011 session. My brief profile is as follows:
Ethnicity: Indian
Undergrad - from one of the IITs in India, GPA 3.7
Grad - one of schools (not high ranked) in U.S., GPA - 3.95
Work experience - I have been working in U.S. since 2005 (I will have 6 years of full time work ex at the end of 2010). I work in high end technical consulting. 2 years in a big five company, past 3 years in a blue chip company.

As I mentioned, I am planning to apply for 2011 session. I will be 30 in Feb 2011. I have a couple of questions:

1. Would I have had a much better chance had I scored 750 instead of 730? I am asking this question because I screwed up the exam a little bit. I have mild ADD and I forgot to hit 'submit' on the last Quant question. I think I made a couple of other stupid mistakes on Quant and could have easily got 750.

2. Is my age going to be a hindrance when applying to top 5 schools - specially Harvard, Stanford and Wharton? If yes, are there any schools in top 10 that are friendlier to applicants with 30 years of age?

Thanks,

Abhi

Hi Abhi,

1. I wouldn't fret over the GMAT score. 730 and 750 puts you in essentially the same percentile/range of test-takers. I don't believe there will be any impact to your application due to that one Quant question.

2. Although the average age of MBA applicants does tend to be in the late twenties, I wouldn't think of your age as a hindrance. You have a good academic profile and have significant work experience. Your focus in your MBA applications should be on why an MBA at this point, and how you think it fits into your proposed career plans. Also, how do your professional profile and extracurricular activities set you apart? You have had a longer time than your fellow applicants to build and demonstrate soft skills - your application package should mention how these make you stronger.

I was just giving an informal talk yesterday to potential MBA applicants on "Stronger MBA applications with a strategy." Two applications from the same candidate, one with a strategy and one without, can look dramatically different, with the "strategized" one proven to have much stronger chances. At My MBA Admit, we first identify our clients' goals, select the appropriate programs, build an application strategy and pick the most relevant examples, rather than going straight to the essays. This makes for a much more coherent application, with a single strong thread running throughout the application. Email us at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to learn more or check out our affordable Volume Discounts and Application Packages.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 08:54
Thanks for your assessment.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 09:36
abhishekit wrote:
Thanks for your assessment.

My pleasure. Look forward to hearing from you once you start the MBA application process. Best of luck!

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton?   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2010, 09:36