Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 06:04
Hi,

I took GMAT last year and scored 730. Verbal - 41/92%, Quant - 49/87%, Total 730/96%, Analytical writing 5.0/56%. I did not (could not) apply anywhere for 2010 because of some financial responsibilities. I am planning to apply for 2011 session. My brief profile is as follows:
Ethnicity: Indian
Undergrad - from one of the IITs in India, GPA 3.7
Grad - one of schools (not high ranked) in U.S., GPA - 3.95
Work experience - I have been working in U.S. since 2005 (I will have 6 years of full time work ex at the end of 2010). I work in high end technical consulting. 2 years in a big five company, past 3 years in a blue chip company.

As I mentioned, I am planning to apply for 2011 session. I will be 30 in Feb 2011. I have a couple of questions:

1. Would I have had a much better chance had I scored 750 instead of 730? I am asking this question because I screwed up the exam a little bit. I have mild ADD and I forgot to hit 'submit' on the last Quant question. I think I made a couple of other stupid mistakes on Quant and could have easily got 750.

2. Is my age going to be a hindrance when applying to top 5 schools - specially Harvard, Stanford and Wharton? If yes, are there any schools in top 10 that are friendlier to applicants with 30 years of age?

Thanks,

Abhi
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

Re: Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 16:30
Expert's post
1. Definitely don't take the GMAT again! A 750 will make you no more attractive to an admissions officer than a 730, all other things being equal. If you hadn't done well on one part or the other (e.g., if you only scored in the 70th percentile on the Verbal section), then I'd encourage you to take it again. But, you're already at the point where you can't help yourself more with a higher GMAT score.

2. You are correct to wonder about your age. (And, when I say "age," I really mean your amount of full-time work experience.) Those schools, especially Harvard, have been trending younger in terms of median age of their entering classes for the past several years. If you apply this fall, you'll be over 30 years old when you enter, putting you in the oldest 10% of the class. Among top-ten schools, Kellogg, Booth, and Columbia are three that haven't yet swung aggressively to the younger end of the spectrum.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is age a big hindrance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 06:44
Thanks for the assessment Scott, I appreciate it.