Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is an MBA really going to work? Even just part time????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-21-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Is an MBA really going to work? Even just part time???? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 13:19
I am an Engineer in the GTA, Ontario, Canada working in Reliability & Maintenance (non-IT). I have been working as an engineer for almost 10 years now (guess you will know my age). Unfortunately this career leads to no where unless I go find a job in the white desert (Alberta Oil sands), not to say it's bad but not for me. The main reason for this career leading nowhere is because manufacturing is on a decline AND it's something to do with the nature of the business - they go where low labour & raw materials costs are, it is not forward looking here in Ontario or pretty much anywhere in a metropoliatan in North America. I mean I should have a job still maybe for a few more years but what's down the road is not very good I believe. :(

I wish to do something about it before it's too late, so I asked myself and thinking, is there something else I can do that I have strong interest in that will lead to a properous career? I then came to realize that I also have a strong interest in business takeovers, mergers & acquisitions, and in my past employment (sadly that business is what matters; not how good engineering is within a company, often times that is the case) I learned how entrepreneurs make their decisions, both good and bad. I also read articles and research on start-ups, M&A, evaluate businesses, and for M&A, such as UA and Continental, Target bought The Bay in Canada, Groupon, Loblaws bought Shoppers, Keystone oil pipeline project and more, and even monetary policies and etc.

I then started researching on career changes and what it takes to make it happen. That's why I eyed on the CFA, I wish to pass all levels of the CFA to make a career change, so I attempted the CFA L1 last year, but unfortunately I failed the L1. My score was bad (below band 5) :cry: , and I know the problem = not prepared! Also, is this right for me? It is hard to pass especially I am an outsider...

As I mentioned, I wish to get into business startups, business fund raise, VC/PE, equity research, or M&A,, make good money and lead to a prosperous career. To my knowledge, VC/PE and IB may not require for the CFA but it will certainly help. This year although I believe in my ability on passing CFA, I am not confident at all, The lack of commitment, devotion and dedication is the main cause of the problem, because I don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling that passing all the levels of CFA would gurantee me jobs in the finance & IB.

Should I go for an MBA instead? Please advise on what I should do now if you do not mind. Even harsh comments that discourage me but you are telling me what you think and it's the reality, I am all ears.....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Is an MBA really going to work? Even just part time????   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 13:19