Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is an MBA right for me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is an MBA right for me? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 08:55
hi guys,

i am kinda get stuck with my career and thinking about MBA. I am becoming 30 this year. My biggest concern is that I don't have a great working experience in a big Company. I only worked for small retail company (less than 20 employees) in a small town for 6 years.

Would you please take a look at my profile and give me some advice?

here is my profile:

Education Background:
I moved to united stated from china when i was 17 and attended 2 years of high school here. then i attended State U of NY in Binghamton, graduate with BS in Computer Science. My GPA was 2.9 (maybe 3.0, kinda forgot already...)

Work Experience:
after graduation, i worked as an IT consultant in a small retail company (the company has 6 stores and less than 20 employee).I started to learn more about the business side of the company, and get involved in the management team. After one year, i was promoted as an assistant manager of the company.
After another two years, i was promoted as the general manager of the company, directly under the business owner.
So far I worked there for 6 years. It is a small company, so i was involved in many different area such as operation, marketing, HR, etc. However, because i don't have a solid academic background in business management, i was just learning things myself as i work.

Extra-cirricular:
Back in my college years, I was the guitarist, music coordinator and band leader in a christian fellowship's music team.
I am also a part-time photographer.

Why MBA:
Because the company i worked for was so small, and the fact that I don't have solid business management knowledge, i kinda get stuck in the career path. I am hopping by getting into MBA program, i can learn the solid knowledge, and able to have a career change.

GMAT:
I am still preparing for GMAT. I am pretty sure i can al least get 700, hopefully 730.

Language:
Fluent in english and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese)

Question:
1. I don't have a great undergrad GPA, and i don't have a impressive working experience in some big company. With a GMAT of 700, what kind of B-school can i get in? top 30? top 50? or not even?

2. i really like McCombs, because of their dual degree program. Do i have any chance getting in?

3. If i am applying school like McCombs, is there a big difference between a GMAT score of 700, 720 or 730?

thank you for your time reviewing my profile!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is an MBA right for me? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 07:53
Honestly, I think if you do a good job selling your work experience, you have a shot at a Top 15, certainly no worse than top 30. First, I would take a few business related classes to build an alternate transcript. You've been out of school for a while, which helps distance you from your GPA, but I think you're still close enough that you should make the investment. Intro to accounting is probably a good start.

It seems you're worried about not working in a large company, but the truth is that a lot of those jobs suck. Will it impact future hiring prospects? Yeah, I mean you're probably not going to land with MBB, but neither will a lot of other people. Overall, you've seen and done far more than most people who have a relatively narrow job function, and to me, that's a great advantage. The only sore spot in your application, assuming a 700+ GMAT, is your UGPA. An alternate transcript, great recs, and your clear progression at work are good offsets here.

Next biggest thing for you to do is craft a compelling story about how and why a MBA is important to your career progression.

Hope that helps!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Is an MBA right for me?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2012, 07:53