Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is AWA a joke?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Is AWA a joke? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 05:28
So I got my official score report today and was slightly shocked at the AWA Score. See, I have never been known as a great writer, nor did I do a single bit of prep work for the AWA. During the exam I sort of jotted down a skeleton of what I wanted to say, but in 30 minutes you cant create a masterpiece. I used very basic language and a standard 5 paragraph format with transitions, but my content was lacking for sure. I had read that schools don't put much weight on this score, and therefore I didn't put much emphasis on it. Anyway, i got a 6 which I think is the highest you can get. I even thought to myself after the test, "Im pretty sure they were probably looking for this argument on the test", as that argument popped into my head.

So the point of this post should be taken with a grain of salt, and has probably already been mentioned here before. The AWA is not something to stress over if English is your first language. Put together something that makes some sense and you will be golden.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is AWA a joke? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 06:19
GrantChap wrote:
So I got my official score report today and was slightly shocked at the AWA Score. See, I have never been known as a great writer, nor did I do a single bit of prep work for the AWA. During the exam I sort of jotted down a skeleton of what I wanted to say, but in 30 minutes you cant create a masterpiece. I used very basic language and a standard 5 paragraph format with transitions, but my content was lacking for sure. I had read that schools don't put much weight on this score, and therefore I didn't put much emphasis on it. Anyway, i got a 6 which I think is the highest you can get. I even thought to myself after the test, "Im pretty sure they were probably looking for this argument on the test", as that argument popped into my head.

So the point of this post should be taken with a grain of salt, and has probably already been mentioned here before. The AWA is not something to stress over if English is your first language. Put together something that makes some sense and you will be golden.

It is and it isn't a joke. The computer grading looks for key things, and as long as the human grader and the computer are within one point of each other, you get the computer score.

If you want a re-score on the AWA, there is a fee.

http://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/TestStru ... efault.htm

6.0 is the highest you can get.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9927 [0], given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is AWA a joke? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 14:09
Expert's post
GrantChap wrote:

Definitely do not recommend spending much time on AWA - most are able to get 5+ by following this guide and one day of practice:
how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Re: Is AWA a joke?   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2009, 14:09