Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is class of 2011 screwed as well

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is class of 2011 screwed as well [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 15:58
There have been a number of discussions regarding the tough job scenario awaiting class of 2010. Recruitment for internships will start in a few months and things are not looking bright as far as the financial services are concerned.

I'm considering applying to class of 2011 and I dont know how market will behave one year from now when the internship recruitment starts in late 2009. I'll be targetting consulting and I think things will not be easy even at that point of time.

Is it going to be easy for career switchers like me to get a job in 2011. will the job market improve or remain the same.

Rhyme, pelihu, lepium and other GMAT clubbers..you've been keeping an eye on this year's recruitment trend for Full time and internship offers..Could you give us an inside scoop..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Is class of 2011 screwed as well [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 16:02
Having talked with some students this year about this...it seems that some areas actually seemed better than previous year and others seemed much tougher but all were still doable. It doesnt sound like there has been the meltdown of the early 2000s, maybe recruiters learned their lesson with that. From what I gathered MC was doing well, during tough times consultants often are called on by companies to help them "trim the fat" and turn things around. Pretty much it sounded like IB was the worst hit (seems obvious)...However, people who wanted jobs in it still could find them if they tried hard enough and were willing to go down their dream list and not head to Goldman or Morgan.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Re: Is class of 2011 screwed as well [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 06:11
just4u1530 wrote:
There have been a number of discussions regarding the tough job scenario awaiting class of 2010. Recruitment for internships will start in a few months and things are not looking bright as far as the financial services are concerned.

I'm considering applying to class of 2011 and I dont know how market will behave one year from now when the internship recruitment starts in late 2009. I'll be targetting consulting and I think things will not be easy even at that point of time.

Is it going to be easy for career switchers like me to get a job in 2011. will the job market improve or remain the same.

Rhyme, pelihu, lepium and other GMAT clubbers..you've been keeping an eye on this year's recruitment trend for Full time and internship offers..Could you give us an inside scoop..

I posted in the Financial Markets thread an article about how Morgan Stanley may plan to spen $1B on recruitment over the next year. However, I interpret their hiring to focus mainly on senior executives and/or people with relevant experience. Then again, if you can sell yourself well (and can schmooze) plus be able to tie in something about how your prior experience would add value to a particular firm, the chances of landing your dream job will only increase.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Is class of 2011 screwed as well [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 14:20
The data that was shared with us showed that this year (those grad in 2008 and interns of the class of 2009) has thus far been no different than previous years from a FT or intern perspective. That is, everyone's doing just fine - I dont remember what the numbers are, but the percentages of people reporting an offer were within like .2% of each other - and I dont remember which one, FT or internships, but one of them was actually higher.

However, they also cautioned that IB recruiting was likely to include little "greenfield" recruiting next year. That is, if you dont have an internship in IB, and you want to get a job in IB, its going to be tough going. They said that all other areas - including things like PE/VC, equity research, hedge funds, investment mgmt, etc all seemed fine.

I wouldnt worry about trying to time things, honestly.
Re: Is class of 2011 screwed as well   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2008, 14:20