Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

is doing grammer book worth buying ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

is doing grammer book worth buying ? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 04:22
hey fnds/ experts/ moderators, i have seen few top gmat scorers referring to the book "going grammar" by Max Morenberg . this book costs 50 pounds from oxford press. is this book really highly advisable ? can this book really help students to pump up their gmat score in SC????? what makes this book so unique to others ? .

thank you,

regards,
vishal
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: is doing grammer book worth buying ? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 04:49
It's not a must have.

Doing Grammar approaches the subject of English grammar differently. It helped me look at grammar from an analytical point of view rather than a collection of do's and don'ts.

It's a very interesting book. However, Manhattan SC Guide and the OG is enough to master SC.

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: is doing grammer book worth buying ? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 05:43
Entwistle wrote:
It's not a must have.

Doing Grammar approaches the subject of English grammar differently. It helped me look at grammar from an analytical point of view rather than a collection of do's and don'ts.

It's a very interesting book. However, Manhattan SC Guide and the OG is enough to master SC.

I support ...I have purchased manhattan sentence Correction...and Powerscore Verbal Bible
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: is doing grammer book worth buying ? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:40
Entwistle wrote:
It's not a must have.

by any chance if u r from hyderabad. please let me know ....
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: is doing grammer book worth buying ? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:42
vishalkellogs wrote:
by any chance if u r from hyderabad. please let me know ....

I'm from Kochi, Kerala :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: is doing grammer book worth buying ? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS

Well do we really need an in-depth coverage of Grammar to score good on SC ? Should we consider investing time in Doing Grammar / Wren and Martin ?
SC accuracy did not increase even after going through Mgmat SC ? Concepts aren't registering !
Should I actually Study for SC from multiple books like Power score, Manhattan e.t.c ?

My Answer :

I was actually involved in self introspection with regard to similar questions as above during my prep times . So your question falls into the category of above list. Hence lookout for the answer you would like to hear below ;)

1. I am a non native speaker too and a hyderabadi ;)
    2. Most non native speakers find it tough to understand Mgmat SC . Why are the concepts not registering in our minds ? Simple neither we have affluent vocabulary skill set to understand terminology like dependent clause , sub-ordinate conjunction , participle, appositive or a transitive verb nor our grammar is so strong ? Do we have enough time on our hands to go through a solid grammar book , start Mgmat sc , Other guides and then OG ? Certainly we need to manage our prep time to get the most out of it !

My Strategy ( Altered to suit a non native speaker's needs ) :

1. Use Ultimate Gmat Grammar Book by Gmat Club. Its available in PDF , by far the cheapest price :) , Has 500 + Gmat like questions. 233 pages of Study Material + Explanations / Reference Pages at the end.

How to Read ?

Ignore the Practice tests 1 to 4, The Book comes down to just 150 pages of Study Material !
    Read topic wise and corresponding exercise from the start .
    Enjoy the Read ! Smooth Flow as you go on Further
    I Just took 2 days to complete the book.

2. Go to e-gmat.com , take their preview course for SC ( free ), Read only the topics Sentence structure 1 and 2 ( should take a hour and not more )

3. Go through the Mgmat SC ( Just the concepts ) . Take say 4-5 days to complete. Go slow ! say 2-3 topics per day

4. Read Aristotle SC Grail ( 140 pages concise book and just almost to the point - perfect compliment to Mgmat SC book )

5. Practice Aristotle SC Grail question Bank of 100 questions. Use SC strategies here ( 2-3 Split , Aristotle method )

6. Then practice OG 12 all 140 SC questions. Use an error log. mark tough and wrong answers. Review their solutions. Do them next day again and get as many as right and start with new set of OG12 Sc questions. Repeat the cycle.

7. Do non overlapping 53 SC questions from OG 11. See my other post regarding it here -> non-overlapping-questions-between-og-11-and-og-12-verbal-119145.html

I took almost two weeks in this method for SC and it just shot up my accuracy say by at least 10 points in verbal.
Complete the skipped practice tests from gmat club grammar book after completing Grail ! ( good practice but only do it if you have time ).
Alternatively consider Kaplan verbal foundations. Solid grammar coverage from Gmat perspective , easy to read. Grab either this or gmat club grammar and spend 2-3 days with them and not more !

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2229

Kudos [?]: 8333 [0], given: 3643

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: is doing grammer book worth buying ? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 11:29
Expert's post
I did not think it was worth it (I purchased it and returned it...) See this post best-gmat-grammar-book-for-international-students-79934.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: is doing grammer book worth buying ?   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2011, 11:29