Please help to evaluate my chances with Kelloggs, Emory, Haas, Boston University, Wisconsin-Madison
1. GMAT: 710 (Q45, V41)
2. GPA: 3.3 from a Vietnamese university, majored in International Trading
3. Work experience: 6 years at international companies in Marketing/Communications roles:
- Customer Management Executive at a international telecom operator
- Marketing and Communications Manager at a intl telecom vendor
- Internal Communication Manager at a intl bank - current job
My experience is mostly in Marketing&Communications, events, media relations, organizational communication, change management - being in charge of the function and interacting with teams across the organization and senior executives. I have led and took part in projects and initiatives of various scales.
4. Community service: only with my employers and most of them one time engagement - for example I launched the blood drive, calling for donation to natural disaster appeals, founded the staff charity fund and organize charity trips for colleagues - nothing permanent and impressive I think.
5. Post MBA goal: move into more senior roles/broader scope at MNCs or work in marketing consulting
Thank you for your advice
Kellogg and Haas are stretches, but I do think Emory, BU, and UW could possibly be good fits if you are able to demonstrate a high level of leadership and impact on the initiatives you mentioned. Don't downplay the significance of your extracurricular leadership just because it isn't "permanent"; the work you are doing is consistent and demonstrates initiative, so proudly discuss the challenges and successes of this area of your experience.
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog