Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: Is everyone applying to bschool this fake during visits? [#permalink]
I could see some of what you're saying in some applicants, but I would say most are pretty friendly. I have had some "rude" ones trying to "get ahead" by interrupting people and asking stupid questions, but most of the time people are nice. There's definitely something to be said about not revealing too much and keeping your guard up though, but not enough for me to consider it "fake". :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Someone said this to me before, and I would assume most are just nervous.

I would not let it get to you, unless it was like on admit day or something.

When did you go?
Current Student
 Q48  V41
Send PM
I mentioned Cornell and Michigan because I was expecting a more friendly atmosphere. I would expect something different at HBS or Wharton. The students I interacted with were great.

I visited both last week.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Yea, When I visited a school, and the prospective students were waxing poetic about their jobs, I thought to myself, "Ummm, why do you need an MBA then?"

I hope adcoms can weed out most of those dbags.

prasad, it's not a reflection of the school. However, I guess it's a reflection of the type of people it draws? I think its bschool in general.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
It may be particular days as well. When I visited Cornell, the current students were the friendliest I had met. I also visited on one of their heaviest prospective student days, so everyone was probably a little more nervous and trying to stand out a little bit extra.

I'd chalk it up to nerves as well. When you hear about applications being up 500% (exaggerating) and whatnot, I know I get a little more nervous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
what i find is that most of the real qualified people are actually pretty cool, they know they will get into at least one top school and they don't need to step over anyone else or try to brown-nose their way in.

It is usually the insecure mediocre applicants, who have a huge chip on their shoulders, that are the fake douchbags.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
what i find is that most of the real qualified people are actually pretty cool, they know they will get into at least one top school and they don't need to step over anyone else or try to brown-nose their way in.

It is usually the insecure mediocre applicants, who have a huge chip on their shoulders, that are the fake douchbags.

I second that. I think it's insecurity which translates into all those kinds of "strange" behavior. I once overheard a guy addressing a Wharton rep at an MBA fair:
- Hello, how are you? I see that you are quite busy answering generic questions from other applicants. Can I bother you with a very specific question? [I mean, "Huh?" What was he expecting to gain with such an introduction line, downgrading fellow applicants? So, I was very curious to hear that "very specific question".]
And he goes:
- I haven't passed the GMAT yet, will it be OK if I submit my GMAT results after the application deadline?
LOL
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
What most visitors (whether fake or not) don't appreciate is that what they do during their visit (other than interview) will have virtually no impact on their admission decision. There's no "networking your way into B-school" unless it's a small program and you have committed deeply to it (as in the sniper approach).

L.
Current Student
 Q48  V41
Send PM
lepium wrote:
What most visitors (whether fake or not) don't appreciate is that what they do during their visit (other than interview) will have virtually no impact on their admission decision. There's no "networking your way into B-school" unless it's a small program and you have committed deeply to it (as in the sniper approach).

L.

There was a girl I toured with who asked every single student who said hello to her for a card or email address. I think collecting bschool student cards must be a hobby of hers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
I am sorry to learn that you have had such a disappointing experience during your visits. I have also visited a few schools and have come across regular co-visitors in every campus. Granted, there were some over eager fellows, but one will encounter them everywhere ( including one's UG classes or in office)!

I may be wrong, but I fiind your text a bit judgemental. But I am sure, that is not a reflection of any baggage, but you really had to withstand some egregious group of people.

dghazer wrote:
Granted I have just started visiting schools, but I was blown away at how fake other applicants were during the tours, etc. I guess you have to put your best foot forward at all times, but I really felt that these people kept regurgitating the same intrdoction, life story, etc. Even when we were away from the adminissions office and tour guides, they did not let their guard down. I was looking forward to meeting some of the people applying, but an open conversation was not to be had at all. I felt almost as if they saw me as some sort of spy for the admin office or something.

Maybe they were a little nervous because they were interviewing and I had the benefit of no real pressure on these visits since I am applying next year. Anyone else notice this? Was I wrong to expect some sort of camraderie with fellow applicant during these visits? Also, I am talking about Cornell and Michigan.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
It's normal that people are on good behavior - which might be fake at worst, or simply a bit stilted. We all put a lot of time into the application process, and we worry about screwing up. Yes, being fake is bad, being a jerk is awful, but being a little tight is normal.

And I have to tell you - it doesn't magically end the second you get in. You're going to spend 2 years with these people. You might want a job where they used to work, you might be on a team with them, whatever. You DON'T want them thinking you're a douchebag from the day they meet you at orientation. People stay on good behavior for a little while, and then chill out a bit.

That's not to say that they're fake or even being jerks. They're just being careful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
 Q42  V42
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:

Michigan has probably the most friendliest student body around...

Growing up in the area, I'd have to kindly and STRONGLY disagree...

kidderek wrote:
I think its bschool in general.

Unfortunatley, I think you are correct... Let's change that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
I hate to be the one to point the finger at you, but people usually reflect the same manner/politeness/comfort as you show them.

At all my visits as I'm walking out the door or talking with them at B school recruiting events, I always talked about the application process and how the goals we write in the essays are not always true (and the countless other idiosyncracies about applying that we talk about here)

I've had some good comradarie because we each know about the application process.

But talking about one's accomplishments to other candidates is different if they are not admitted. You have to understand these people. They spent months on the gmat, months on the essays, and days/hours thinking about their job and preparing for the interview. You come on interview day with a certain mentality and gameface that stays on throughout the interview season. It may sound canned because it is. They practiced/rehearsed it and memorized their marketing spiel.

Talking to you is just more practice
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I am probably one of the most "real" people you're gonna meet, but I'll tell ya what...I probably came off weird on more than one occassion during those tours/diversity wknds etc. For me personally I think it came out of insecurity. When I was at Yale for a tour, I sat in the reception area of the admissions office waiting for the tour to begin. There with me were several bankers/consultants...perfect hair, suits, leather bound portfolios...even came with their attractive girlfriends. Then there was me...the 25 yr old with the baby face from LA who probably didn't dress nearly warm enough and worked in land development. I admit it...I felt outclassed at that partciular moment. In those instances, you can't shrink into a ball, you have to puff your chest...I had to be extra friendly and outgoing, be extra energetic about what I did for a living because I felt like I had to prove to them that I actually belonged. That sounds absolutely asinine and silly...but hey, I'm just being real haha :o
Director
Director
Send PM
I also want to add that it's not being fake, but just knowing how to act in certain situations.

Switching certain parts of your personality on and off.

The schools do the same thing with all that marketing crap they spew.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
During visits you are going to meet "That Guy" everywhere. Most likely there will be students at every school who were that guy and still are that guy. You will work with that guy in the future, you may even work FOR that guy in the future or may have him working for you.

My advice, DON'T be "that guy"

Pretty simple and in my humble opinion very good advice. You never want to stand out for the wrong reason.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
gmatclb wrote:
I also want to add that it's not being fake, but just knowing how to act in certain situations.

Switching certain parts of your personality on and off.

The schools do the same thing with all that marketing crap they spew.

Agreed. There's a big gap between treating everyone around you like they're your fraternity brothers and treating everyone around you like they're a competitor. It's advisable to fall somewhere in between.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3