Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is "fit" so important?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 57

Is "fit" so important? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
hi all,

I’m informed about the importance of fit. I have left aside, for instance, Cornel since the dominant stream underlying faculty research is psychology while my interests include quantitative issues like pricing.

But, I feel guilty if I'm a bit oversensitive about it You know, Cornel is not the only dream school I’ve turned a blind eye just for this “fit” reason while other factors, including the state, weather, accommodation, etc may be very desirable in these “unfit” schools. My question is that is “fit” a big enough issue to totally leave out a school for lacking it?

what is the cut point between fit/unfit? Is it sufficient to say a school is unfit for you just because there's no prof there with the same interests as you?

Thanks

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [1] , given: 781

Re: Is "fit" so important? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 02:57
This post received
KUDOS
The cut off point, if any, will be determined by your undergrad GPA, the courses you have taken, and GMAT scores. Keep an open mind about what you want to work on for your Ph.D. Many faculty will let you pursue your research interests, which may change as you take more classes, meet more people and attend a couple of conferences.

Many a time, the university will make the decision on fit for you. Ph.D. admissions are just like any other hiring process. Your expertise is matched against departmental requirements. A school may gets 100 applications of which only 2-3 Ph.D. students are admitted. Look up tenure track appointments of recent graduates, review their research focus and their background. If recent graduates have backgrounds too dissimilar from yours, chances are you are not a good fit for the Ph.D. program.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: Is "fit" so important? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 22:40
Praetorian,

Thanks a lot for the reply and kudos to you. But my question is how important fit is. Please reread my explanation above

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: Is "fit" so important? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 00:45
saeedt wrote:
Praetorian,

Thanks a lot for the reply and kudos to you. But my question is how important fit is. Please reread my explanation above

Fit is extremely important and that should not surprise anyone. What matters on graduation is letters of recommendation from faculty who have worked with you for 4-5 years. Unless I publish in your area of interest and/ or I am a co-author on your papers, it will be hard for me to write your recommendation because it will be harder for anyone to believe me.
Re: Is "fit" so important?   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2011, 00:45