Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is Georgetown a possibility?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Is Georgetown a possibility? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 06:04
I posted this in the Stacy Blackman Consulting forum, but thought I'd get more exposure by posting in here as well. Please advise on my situation below. I appreciate all the help! Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I sat for my third GMAT in 4 years this morning and walked out with a 640 (Q44, V33). In late 2011, I took my first GMAT and scored a 610 (Q44, V29). In January 2012, I scored a 620 (Q43, V32). Geographically, I am restricted to applying to colleges in the DC area, so I am looking at Georgetown, GWU, GMU, UMD, and American. Personally, I am a huge fan of Georgetown and UMD, so those two are my top schools. I need advice on whether I should attempt the GMAT for a 4th and final time. I am open to taking it one last time, and was fine with this idea before taking my exam today, but would still like advice.

Here are a few things about me:
Graduated in 2012 from GWU with a degree in Environmental Studies (GPA: 3.08)

I entered GWU as an engineering student, and bounced around for 2 years before deciding on Environmental Studies. With the bouncing around, I took a few classes as exploration classes to help choose a major, and did poorly in them. My final 2 years, the bulk of my major, saw much improvement in my GPA, and would be roughly .3-.5 higher than my final GPA.

I work for a Clean Water Association in Membership Development. This is where I fell in love with database work, Information Systems, and Technology, which is what I would like to pursue as my area of concentration for my MBA. In my 20 months at work, I have filled in for my boss while she was on 3 month maternity leave, and have been promoted from Coordinator to Manager.

I would love to have an opportunity to attend Georgetown's McDonough School of Business, but I'm not sure my numbers and story stack up to the rest of the competition. Can anyone provide advice? Additionally, if you need more information, I can provide it.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Dream MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: DreamMBA Inc.
Schools: HBS '16, INSEAD (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Is Georgetown a possibility? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 00:57
Expert's post
Hi Speticrevo,

I don't see a compelling story behind your choice for an MBA. You like database systems, Information Systems and technology then MS in Computer Science would make more sense. You have to mention a strong business focused reason to pursue a business related degree.

Your GMAT score is low and GPA is average. So you will need to compensate it with very compelling essays. Work very hard on building a solid story to tell in your essays and interviews.

DreamMBA inc. Premium MBA Admission Consultants

We are offering huge discounts on our packages for early birds. Visit our website now to benefit from these limited time offers.

Re: Is Georgetown a possibility?   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2014, 00:57