Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WEMBA East)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 18:41
I'm just starting a prep regimen in advance of taking the GMAT in August. I'm interesting in a good EMBA program. I'm old, abacus-old, so a lot of the math is going to require some remedial work.

That said, I took the GMATPrep test 1 from mba.com and the score was 720 (44/44). Does the GMATPrep actually simulate CAT, or is it just using realistic questions. And does it seem like a decent diagnostic. I think I have a lot of work to do, this seems like a generous score.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 18:49
scorcho wrote:
I'm just starting a prep regimen in advance of taking the GMAT in August. I'm interesting in a good EMBA program. I'm old, abacus-old, so a lot of the math is going to require some remedial work.

That said, I took the GMATPrep test 1 from mba.com and the score was 720 (44/44). Does the GMATPrep actually simulate CAT, or is it just using realistic questions. And does it seem like a decent diagnostic. I think I have a lot of work to do, this seems like a generous score.

It is supposed to be the most accurate diagnostic out there. Congrats on a great score. I would take GMATPrep 2-3 more times to feel comfortable that you are really in that range. Ff that score range is repeated another 2-3 times, I wouldn't wait until August, and I would instead sign up soon. You shouldn't need much beyond a 720 for EMBA programs.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 19:07
I think GMATPrep is a very accurate indicator, the good news is if you are just starting your GMAT studies and you pulled that score, with a week or two worth of quant review you'll probably have that math score up a couple of points as you get use to the question types and timings.
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 19:16
Yes. GMAT prep is the most accurate predictor out there. Given that you are just starting out..would recommend you aim for a 750+ score.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 19:19
yep one cant question gprep at all....congrats on straightaway kicking 700 plus...its the most closest representative to the actual gmat test...the screen ...colour...type of questions...yes...quant is becoming tougher and tougher....but verbal is very much close....and most importantly the scoring......and algorithm no one knows though you might have diff opinions.....first ten...last ten etc etc....All the best...happy gmatting :lol:
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 19:22
Can't go wrong working with GMATPrep. 720 is an insanely good starting score. You'll do awesome on the real thing.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 19:25
Any GMATclubber with a perfect score 800 ?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 01:25
You mean for real ? or gmatprep takes ?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 04:38
scorcho wrote:

A 720 on your first GMATPrep? That is a ridiculously high score. Did you do any prep work? Did you cheat? Use a calculator? I suggest you sign up for the test asap and just take it. Get it out of the way.

GMATPrep is the GOLD standard. It is IDENTICAL to the real GMAT. Therefore, if you're going to continue prepping, don't just use that second GMATPrep on a whim.

bsd_lover wrote:
You mean for real ? or gmatprep takes ?

I can't recall anyone even scoring an 800 on gmatprep
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WEMBA East)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 05:26
kidderek wrote:
A 720 on your first GMATPrep? That is a ridiculously high score. Did you do any prep work? Did you cheat? Use a calculator? I suggest you sign up for the test asap and just take it. Get it out of the way.

No calculator, no notes on my hand, no rubbernecking around the room. I didn't do any prep, this was day 2 of my gmat prep. The day before I looked through OG11 to understand the structure and format, and I also read the math review section. I'm so reliant on Excel at this point, I think any math aptitude I may have ever had has completely atrophied.

Thanks for the encouraging words from all of you. I'm still going to practice for a bit, maybe it's overkill, but part of me just wants to get a higher score (and I have about 10 months to work on my application).
Re: Is GMATPrep a valid diagnostic   [#permalink] 16 May 2008, 05:26