Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

[ GAMT score valid for 5 years ? ] is it a good choice ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

[ GAMT score valid for 5 years ? ] is it a good choice ? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 04:51
first of all hi everyone this is quite active and very helping community

i didnt knew how to start here so i just thought to shoot a few questions that are bothering me

i am a indian student and presently in final year of my graduation

actually my interest area is finance and i want to make a career in it (actually i am doing engineering now)

MBA fron any top college is what i am looking for

my ques is i don't want to do a job in engineering feild but all the top colleges want that a student must have at least 2 yrs of experience ..its justified but i am just not inclined towards doing a engineering job

as the GMAT scores are valid for 5 years can i give the exam and if i score good i could spare a year or two for the job so that i could gain the experience otherwise i would go for CAT (Indian test for top Indian MBA colleges) because they take students with zero work experience

that being said i seriously want to gain a international experience and be among the best in world ...but on other hand i don't want to spend two years in doing a job that i don't want to
also my GPA score is not very good

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: [ GAMT score valid for 5 years ? ] is it a good choice ? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 06:08
onmywayhere wrote:
first of all hi everyone this is quite active and very helping community

i didnt knew how to start here so i just thought to shoot a few questions that are bothering me

i am a indian student and presently in final year of my graduation

actually my interest area is finance and i want to make a career in it (actually i am doing engineering now)

MBA fron any top college is what i am looking for

my ques is i don't want to do a job in engineering feild but all the top colleges want that a student must have at least 2 yrs of experience ..its justified but i am just not inclined towards doing a engineering job

as the GMAT scores are valid for 5 years can i give the exam and if i score good i could spare a year or two for the job so that i could gain the experience otherwise i would go for CAT (Indian test for top Indian MBA colleges) because they take students with zero work experience

that being said i seriously want to gain a international experience and be among the best in world ...but on other hand i don't want to spend two years in doing a job that i don't want to
also my GPA score is not very good

Yes sounds like a good strategy you can do that, since it wont expire for 5 years, you can work and take admission later.

Also there are few good universities programs where work ex is not mandate.(HBS2+2, MIM programs in europe etc), you can research a bit,am sure you will find lot more on this.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: [ GAMT score valid for 5 years ? ] is it a good choice ? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 23:00
thanks

what more can you advise i am thinking of alternate transcript ad my GPA isnt good at all

any tips ?
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: [ GAMT score valid for 5 years ? ] is it a good choice ? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 02:30
A few points about applying for an MBA which I would have liked to have known when I was in my final year..
1) A very poor GMAT score (less than 600) can keep you out on its own but even a good GMAT score (720+) cannot take you in on its own.
2) Most top US Schools do not have a 2 year minimum work experience cut off. It is more about what you have done than how long you have worked. There are people who have got in with less than 2 years. That being said the average years work experience at matriculation is 4-5 years. So average work experience while applying would be 3-4 years.
3) IMO, it is better to do away with the GMAT as soon as possible, giving you enough time to do your b-school research and write your essays during application season. Opinions may vary from person to person.
4) B-school research is much easier when you have a clear idea about your short term goals.

All the best.. :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 154 [1] , given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: [ GAMT score valid for 5 years ? ] is it a good choice ? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 05:54
This post received
KUDOS
onmywayhere wrote:
thanks

what more can you advise i am thinking of alternate transcript ad my GPA isnt good at all

any tips ?

Answered your PM query.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: [ GAMT score valid for 5 years ? ] is it a good choice ?   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 05:54