Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Is it bad to take the GMAT 4 times? [#permalink]
it is bad if the trend is down. lets say you take it 4th time and it is ~700 then it is more favorable than not. But if you get a 600 again then the adcom see you are "trying your luck" and not studying hard enough. Basically you have to show decent improvement and dedication.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
So what you are saying is that someone with a 550 (3 years ago), a 650, 660, and then 700+ shouldn't have to worry too much?
Current Student
Send PM
miguel3072 wrote:
So what you are saying is that someone with a 550 (3 years ago), a 650, 660, and then 700+ shouldn't have to worry too much?

that is correct. What it shows is you studied and came back with a 650 for 100 pt increase which is significant. But the 660 is a bit iffy since it is close to 650. HOWEVER, the 700+ is another significant jump which shows you prepared and improved yourself further. IF you had 550,650,660,670 then that is bad in terms of multiple takes because the adcom sees you reached your "limit" with 650ish and sees you trying your luck. but with the 700+ imo it does a lot more good than harm. Remember schools like to see you improve!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great.

Dont we self report anyway? So in theory schools wouldn't see all the scores until after they had reviewed the app. That is atleast what I thought.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
miguel3072 wrote:

I think this is true. The GMAT attempt a year ago wouldn't really raise too many questions. But if you get a 700+ score on the fourth attempt, it only shows that you are hardworking and determined. If you'd gotten a 700 the first time and kept retaking till you got a 790, then that looks stupid because a 700 is a good score, and perhaps you can take it once more to improve a score balance. I think in your case it's okay, but don't take it more than 4 times. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That is good news.
Current Student
Send PM
miguel3072 wrote:
Great.

Dont we self report anyway? So in theory schools wouldn't see all the scores until after they had reviewed the app. That is atleast what I thought.

well yes. basically what you see is what they see. You do report it and they wont see it till they review the app but does that matter? Some schools dont want the report till later so that saves you some money :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
I think if you can score 700+ on 4th attempt it won't have any worse impact..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What I was thinking is that, lets say that you mark down that you scored a 720, 48Q and 40V. Then I thought that the adcoms would just take it as such, and then after going through the apps, they would have someone later on check for accuracy, similar to checking work experience, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 631 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Mine was a strange case....

I scored 610 in the first
620 in the second that full of technical glitches. On complaint to GMAC about the same the committee permitted me a free retake.
Third time I again scored 620.

What do you people say about this. Should I count the second attempt as a genuine one. Or will the next one be my fourth. Please suggest.
Current Student
Send PM
miguel3072 wrote:
What I was thinking is that, lets say that you mark down that you scored a 720, 48Q and 40V. Then I thought that the adcoms would just take it as such, and then after going through the apps, they would have someone later on check for accuracy, similar to checking work experience, etc.

well they would request you to send them the official score sooner or later. With that score report it will have your past (within 3?) years of scores. Basically with your recent score report you should see your past ones - that report is what the school will see. Also some require you to scan the report rather than mail it but it is school by school basis. Basically they will know the past scores
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
mustdoit wrote:

620 in the second that full of technical glitches. On complaint to GMAC about the same the committee permitted me a free retake.

What do you people say about this. Should I count the second attempt as a genuine one. Or will the next one be my fourth. Please suggest.

Here's the way I see it.

If your current GMAT score is a deterrent, it's going to be a deterrent whether you take it again (too many attempts) or not take it again (low score). The only issue to consider is that if you take GMAT again and either you do the same or the worse, then you will be hurting your candidacy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Guys "where there is will, there is way"
Current Student
Send PM
mustdoit wrote:

unless the gmac can put an "*" next to the score you will be "stuck" with the score trend unless you explain in an optional essay or something. You have the following routes:
1. study up and retake - get a 50+ point boost and "all is forgiven" like the poster here.
2. 3 retakes is not horrible but they do see you as a 600ish student. Even if you do explain the glitch your 3rd score doesnt help your case.

If you have the time i really would go route 1 - 50+ increase is not too bad from 620 standpoint. try error logs, mgmat books, study programmes etc.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts